1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Folding Projector screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by marc_ely, Aug 20, 2002.

1. marc_ely

marc_ely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to make a projector screen. The HC is setup in the living room so I do not want the screen to be a permament fixture.
    I am looking to make a screen using blackout-lining as this looks a great value idea.

My question is regarding storage - the screen will be about 54" x 75". This will be quite tricky to lift around and store so I was wondering if anyone has tried making a screen that folds?

The idea is to make 2 wooden frames that hinge in the middle. The cloth is fixed to the frames while they are in the assembled position, and then by un-doing a catch the screen folds in on itself to a more manageable size (approx 54" x 38").

Will the curtain blackout lining crease in the middle? When the frame is opened out again will it not pull it straight?

Regards,
    Marc

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Why don't you just use two poles and roll the screen up when you're not using it.

Brian

3. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,
    I've had a temporary screen from blackout material just hanging from an aluminium box section using bulldog clips and picture hangers for several weeks. Although the material has not been stretched, just hanging naturally, it has taken all that time for the creases to dissapear, and a few are still there, so at a guess I would think a center crease would appear for you. The idea of the poles sounds like a good one though.
    Regards
    Bob.

4. marc_ely

marc_ely
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas and info guys.

I have decided to make a rigid frame from Aluminium box section - with plywood strips at the rear to staple to.
    This should give manageable weight (Ali frame will be 4Kg versus the 12Kg the all wooden one would be).

Cheers,
    Marc

5. BeerDrinker

BeerDrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another idea springs to mind, if it was possible to make a black border on the cloth, is a DIY roller blind kit and blackout cloth....just a thought.
    Bob.