DIY enclosure help please

chrig

Standard Member
Since moving in to my new flat and being spoiled by my car audio system over the summer I've realised my 'book shelf' speakers are massively lacking in the low bass I've become so used to on my daily commute to my summer job :(. I've got a few spare car audio drivers sat in boxes un-used at my parents place so have been toying with the idea of using one of them, the main one I was thinking of was a JBL GT-4 12" driver which I'm rather fond of but building enclosure's for use at home is something I'm really not sure of at all.

I've got loads of room (about 1.5ft x 2.5ft x hight isn't really an issue) so have been thinking along the lines of a Transmission Line enclosure but i'm not sure where to start with one of these, appart from that is an oversized low tuned (i hear this is required for indoor use??) enclosure. any advice would be great if possible.
thanks for reading :)

ps. Amp wise i've been looking at the BK plate amps If anybody has any experience with these then that'd be a bonus also.

IronGiant

ps. Amp wise i've been looking at the BK plate amps If anybody has any experience with these then that'd be a bonus also.
Superb bits of kit :thumbsup: I accidentally did a Gadget show test on one and ripped the pcb off the amp plate and bent the pcb in half while drilling some spike holes in a sub, without realising I'd tangled the drill in the internal wadding ripping most of the innards out of the sub :oops: I switched all back on and it still worked :eek:

That was 6 years ago and the amp plate still works perfectly :D

Dave

Last edited:

chrig

Standard Member
thanks for the reply, its always good to hear that something is robust, i suppose they will often have to be when used to bass duties inside an enclosure board flex can be a real amp killer. I'll be knocking up something to house the amp rather than integrating it in to the enclosure, probbably looking for about 500wrms at 4ohm, cant remember which of the Bkelectronics amps are suitable for this without looking but the budget is nice and flexible.

Sawdust

Novice Member
Since moving in to my new flat and being spoiled by my car audio system over the summer I've realised my 'book shelf' speakers are massively lacking in the low bass I've become so used to on my daily commute to my summer job :(. I've got a few spare car audio drivers sat in boxes un-used at my parents place so have been toying with the idea of using one of them, the main one I was thinking of was a JBL GT-4 12" driver which I'm rather fond of but building enclosure's for use at home is something I'm really not sure of at all.

I've got loads of room (about 1.5ft x 2.5ft x hight isn't really an issue) so have been thinking along the lines of a Transmission Line enclosure but i'm not sure where to start with one of these, appart from that is an oversized low tuned (i hear this is required for indoor use??) enclosure. any advice would be great if possible.
thanks for reading :)

My main speakers are transmission lines and I'm pleased with them but my attempt at build a TL sub was much less successful and I scrapped it and used a ported cabinet instead. If you do decide to build one, the calcs are very difficult to pin down and it does become a case of experimentation so be prepared to build lots of cabinets before getting it right.

WinIsd - LinearTeam is very good for doing the basic cabinet designs as long as you know all the parameters for your drive unit.

I've never tried the BK plate amps but I have used one of their power amp modules and it's great. I also found BK very helpful as do most people on here who have dealt with them.

If you have a few big drivers kicking around then go for an infinite baffle. I would if I had the drivers for it but with just a single driver it's unlikely to work. I used the 300W module - MF 300 - and it is easily capable of bottoming out the monolith driver that I used so I'm not sure you would need as much as 500W. Nice to have power in reserve though!

Good luck
Mike

chrig

Standard Member
Hmmmm, IB is a little bit difficult in my flat really seeing as there is just no way to seal off the front wave from the back without having the basket in next doors bedroom..... If that was possible I'd have the 'REaudio 18xxxv1/v3' out of its 8cubic foot enclosure in my car boot rather sharpish and then bang a big hole in the wall :lol:

I've got all the TS perimeters so i could have a play with a box building program but I'll need to do some research on how they actually work first before bashing numbers in or else it'll go tits up! :rolleyes:

That amp also looks like pretty good value for money, but I'd most likely be looking towards the sub bass ones for the extra crossovers, unless there is another more effective way? Oh and I'm a little bit of a basshead so 500wrms didn't seem like much but in a quiet room with an efficient enclosure it probbably is quite allot!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom