DIY Door Monitor System

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Longhorn, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Longhorn

Longhorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks, looking to make myself a system where if the front door camera detects movement then an 8" monitor to the left of my front door will display he image but will only be swcthed on by the motion detection of the camera. I seem to be having problems finding a CCTV camera with built in motion detect apart from a Ip Camera (webcam), if this is not do-able then a doorbell swicth set-up could trigger the monitor.

Anyone achieved this before or have any ideas???

2. Doktor Jon

Doktor Jon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a couple of thoughts for you Longhorn.

If your front door is under a porch, or just generally protected from the elements, you could consider using an 'internal' PIR movement sensor with a built in covert pinhole lens camera.

They are readily available, but there are a couple of things to bear in mind. 1) they are not really designed for outdoor use and so the long term reliability may possibly be an issue. 2) the cameras coverage is not particularly wide angle so may not provide an optimised coverage in your situation, and 3) pinhole cameras do require more light than conventional cameras to produce a decent picture at night.

As an alternative, you could consider a mini external dome (or any other suitable model) along with a seperate PIR movement sensor, perhaps linked to a TFT LCD flat panel display.

To some degree, your options will be dictated by your available budget.

3. IVB

IVB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I do what Doktor Jon says. I have a Vitek Motion detector camera, shown in the first pic. [haven't cleaned up the wiring yet, forgive me]. Not actually positive, but it feels like an internal-only, as it doesn't seem very weatherproof.

The camera in pic#1 produces images as per the next two pics. There's no night-time ability [no IR LEDs], but that's not relevant for a front door location. I've got that covered with 2 other Vitek day/night IR-LED cameras. A pic from one of those is the left image on the first pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Longhorn

Longhorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice system u got there m8, will look into this further. do you have a dedicated monitor for these, because all im gonna to is put all 5 cameras round my house through a rf modulator and tune all tv's to to the cameras and might use a quad splitter.

cheers

LH

5. IVB

IVB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, sort of. I posted a thread here with pics of my onwall $160US touchscreen, i have 2 of those. Plus, I can pull up those screenshots on any PC in the house. I have a laptop, an HTPC, and a desktop, so basically 5 different locations.

Also that way, if I wanted, I could punch a hole in the firewall to look at it over the 'net.