DIY DeWalt Boom box build

Anthony1991

Novice Member
Hi All.
I am a newby to speaker building and plan on converting a Tstack DeWalt power tool case into a portable speaker.

Now I know plastic is poor for speakers so I plan on building a mdf 8mm box inside built into the DeWalt case.

I plan on using 2 Daytona RS75-4 3 15wRMS speakers. As these speakers don't have great bass, I'd like to install 1 or two sub woofers.

Now as internal volume is tight at around 9.5litres, fitting them all in is going to be tough. For left and Right they will me sealed.

Is 2:1 Vs 2.2 much different or am I better going for 1 larger subwoofer?

Would tweeters be pointless with these speakers?

What about volume? L/R speakers Vs subwoofer?

Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

• $_57.jpeg
    $_57.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 16

MemX

I like your thinking :D

I am sure I've seen similar proposed before but I've never seen the outcome!

IMO one or two sub drivers, whichever you can make fit and work in such a small volume. Bass is omnidirectional so it shouldn't matter either way - instead, you might want to think about risk of damage to a larger, more exposed cone/cover?

Tweeters are probably overkill, lol.

Anthony1991

Novice Member
Thanks for your input. I'd be putting pictures up as I'm doing it.

Sorry, what do you mean from "you might want to think about risk of damage to a larger, more exposed cone/cover" sorry for my ignorance. Thanks

MemX

Thanks for your input. I'd be putting pictures up as I'm doing it.

Sorry, what do you mean from "you might want to think about risk of damage to a larger, more exposed cone/cover" sorry for my ignorance. Thanks
I was thinking about if you are using it on site, as more cone area = a larger target for random things to hit and damage by accident if any grille is not that strong! lol

Anthony1991

Novice Member
Well I was thinking of having two Daytona speakers mounted on the front and either one or two subwoofers mounted internal with a vent at the front for the bass to escape. The two on the front will be protected with mesh with DeWalt sprayed on it. This should give adaquate protection. I think I'd only be able to fit one subwoofer in the space so will go with a low profile subwoofer. Is 8 ohm better than 4 if I match the amp? Thanks

Last edited:

MemX

Internal with vents seems safer! Works for Bose... :D lol

Ohms... TBH I don't personally feel it makes that much difference, if any. I am sure I have read people talk about 'low damping factor' at lower Ohms apparently making some sort of difference, but that falls into 'audiophile' territory for me :p haha, and as it's not (I assume?) going to be a dedicated home setup for critical listening :D I would just get whatever is available and suits!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom