DIY Cooling A Seperate Amplifier

K

kiranp

hi, i have a seperate amp and use it for considerate amounts of time. The problem is that it heats up alot and the air around the heat sink is not circulating. So i wndered if there was a solution to cool down the unit myself using a pc fan mounted on top of the case.
I found this pic of this idea being used CLICK HERE

Please tell me if this method is safe, if so how would i connect a normall PC fan to the mains or any other source around a amp. Or any other suggestions would be helpfull!

thanks alot!

(BTW i have a YAMAHA RX V592 rds Amplifier )

Kiranp,

looking at the piccy it looks like they have simply connected the fan to a transformer plug (as used with calculators,cd-walkmans etc). You could use this idea with some 12v fans or you could obtain some 240v fans which are normally found in server racks used in computer rooms. I used to have a stack of these 240v fans at my old job and we simply used to wire them up directly to a plug and away you go but they are a bit noisy. :thumbsdow

I would probably go with the 12v option and try and get a couple of silent fans and either connect directly to a 12v souce or rig up a fan controller from a pc and power with a 12v source. :smashin:

have fun.

Dave.

I've just been through the same thing, except I loaded an external tuner, set top box, DVD and amp in a cabinet and I thought the whole thing was going to cook! I started off with an AV fan connected to the amp power out. It sounded like a plane was going to land everytime I switched the damn thing on; it ruined the experience. So I ended up with a 12 volt fan. It was the same size as the AC fan, so luckily I didn't have to cut another hole in the back of my cabinet (12cm x 12cm). I got a variable output AC to DC converter, stepped it down to 9 volts (less power to the fan, slows it down therefore even less noise) and plugged that into the back of the amp. Now the fan only runs when the amp is on and is almost silent.

Make sure you get a brushless fan; mine cost me about $20 and $9 for the AC/DV adapter.

Cheers
Sean

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom