1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY component suppliers - capacitors/resistors

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Paul Williams, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi

In a previous thread I expressed an interest in building some of my own Hi-Fi bits and pieces. Now I still want to do this but several people have suggested that I get an electronics hobby kit and practice my soldering technique for a bit first. Trouble is most are really of no interest at all, but I've now found something I'd actually like to try, but it is only the circuit board and I'm failing dismally to source the passive components in the UK.

The list is of recommended parts is;
    Capacitors - 50v poly film 2% tolerance; 1.8nF, 5.6nF, 560pF (Panasonic)
    Resistors - 1/4watt metal film 1% tolerance; 60.4, 536, 1.37k, 1.91k, 42.2k, 511k ohm (Yageo).

I can get these from the US no trouble, but the supplier loads a £10 handling charge and £12 shipping charge :eek: - component cost is about £3.

So anyone know where I could source the above I'd like to know. The circuit board itself is only about £11 and is post free from the US (an assembled and tested unit only £31 delivered, but that won't help my DIY efforts).

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

2. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
  3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Steve/Knightshade

I should have added that I've tried all the obvious sources (inc. those above) and although they have the resistors, not the specific values and for the caps neither the 2% tolerance or the specified values. I do realise for the specified resistors I can put multiples in series/parallel to achieve the correct values but this would be messy in conjunction with the circuit board and would require even closer smaller tolerance parts.

Thanks for taking time to respond though.

Paul

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  6. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Cwick

thanks for those - I'll give them a try lunch time.

Paul

*update;
    Actually, couldn't wait so looked, no go I'm sorry to say, just the usual values for resistors, and no capacitors with the specified tolerances or values* But it does show that even if I have to buy them by the 100, it will still be cheaper than the US supplier - perhaps I'll have to contact them and ask for a special order quote!

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Curious as to what you are making that requires 1% tolerence 1/4 watt resistors?

8. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Knightshade,

Its a ".....a two-channel passive inverse RIAA response filter for use in testing phono preamplifier's. Unlike traditional networks, the iRIAA Filter includes a correctly placed upper 3.18us (50kHz) corner in its transfer function. Dual inputs accommodate either 50 ohm or 600 ohm sources with outputs at both -40dB and -60dB. Frequency response is accurate to within +/-0.25dB from 10Hz to 100kHz..."

So it takes a line source output such as a CD player and converts the signal to what would be expected by a phono stage. Now I don't know if the 1/4 watt rating is important but thought the tolerances seemed a bit wide for both the capacitors and resistors! Anyway I can think of quite a few uses for this item (other than just the testing element) so if I can't get the bits, I'll get the assembled board.

Paul.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Bit of fun. I would've thought you'd get away with 1/2 watt resistors depending on the spacings of the board. This will certainly make the search a bit easier. The 2% tolerence on the caps is a bit of a pain too. It might be worth trying it with 5% tolerences and seeing what you think.
    Good luck.

10. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The biggest problem seems to be that no one has a stock of the values required, even if I did relax the tolerances, for both resistors and caps, just basic step values.

Presently emailing the supplier of the unit in the US to see if, when he has the next production run, he'll just not make up one of the units & send me the bits - but all said and done, the cost is not that high so doubt he'll go for it.

Paul

11. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372