1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Component (3 RCA) to VGA (HD-15) cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ummy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ummy

ummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

i have an NEC VT-440 Projector and want to make my own component->vga adaptor.
    The adaptor will have 3 female rca plugs at one end ( to connect from dvd,xbox,ps2,gc) and the vga connector at the othe end which plugs into the projector.

looking at the pinout of the HD-15(VGA) connector:
    Pin 1 is Red Video
    Pin 6 is Red Ground
    Pin 2 is Green Video
    Pin 7 is Green Ground
    Pin 3 is Blue Video
    Pin 8 is Blue Ground

is it just a simple case of soldering the rca plugs to relevent pins, or am i missing something, do i need to use any of the other pins in the VGA connector e.g sync or other ground?

cheers
    ummy

2. ummy

ummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any ideas please?

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    If the PJ can take YUV type component video on it's VGA port, then I think the above should be OK (from a component video ouput on the back of a DVD player, you've nothing else you can connect anyway :) )
    Composite sync is embedded in the Green (Y) signal for component video.

If the PJ can take this signal, then there will no doubt be a menu setting to set the VGA port for component (YUV/YPbPr etc) input!

4. ummy

ummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant :clap:
    yes the PJ can take component video on it's vga port, the manual recommends connecting a dvd player this way (i.e YUV to VGA), and there is an option to select RGB or Component.

cheers