1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Centre speaker help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by me_eeeee, May 12, 2003.

1. me_eeeee

me_eeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I want to build a centre speaker for my Brother in Law to blend in with his main Hi-Fi pair (Accoustic Research)

I have all the tools and skills to make it, other than either the design itself or the software to simply calculate with the emphasis on the word "simply."

We have sort of decided on a tweeter/ 2 midrange setup.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for either an easy to use software package or a completed design?

While i'm beggin' ......... drive units, don't want to spend a fortune and stuff at places like Wilmslow seem to be exorbitant.........anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weren't them Acoustic Research speakers the "White Van Man" speakers?

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AR speakers were a well respected budget brand back in the 80's.
    I think they went bust, but I think they have recently risen again...... or at least someone using the name has!! :)

Depends what you consider to be exorbitant really - both Maplin and CPC do speaker drivers cheaper - some of the Audax units Maplin do are OK!

However, trying to design a perfect match, without specific knowledge of the main speakers, is a bit problematic - you may drop lucky by accident of course, but it's unlikely if it's a prefect match you want.

At the end of the day though, you have to ask whether it's worth the bother - you can get a reasonable budget centre, something like a Diamond series centre, for around £80 or so - will making one really save anything?

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you can, try to find identical drivers as are used in the AR's. They you could make a replica to them, which will give the most consistent sound.