Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

diy cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by newjohn, Nov 2, 2005.

1. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would it be an easy job to make my own component cables
    i am ok with a soldering iron etc and have made up some
    leads and adapters before,
    is there any reason why i shouldn't make my own component leads
    and can anyone advise me what cable to get.
    etc.

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Hi newjohn,

You could do, but it's probably not worth it.

If you look at some of the other recent threads on component cables you will see suggestions for 'budget' cables from Maplin and PC World. A home made job is likely to give similar performance but cost more.

For a bit extra, the Mark Grant type cables will give the highest performance available and cannot be matched by homemade jobs (unless you invest in the tooling and bulk-buy the cable).

Spend the time saved watching a DVD :)

3. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..at work - 6M component leads made with Belden 1505A (RG59 - 20AWG; 16.3pF/ft; 83% VoP) and gold-plated locking phonos, then covered it in black flex braid and colour-coded heatshrink and I didn't buy much more in the way of raw materials than I actually used. Takes about 1.5 hours to make and test and should cost much less than the 1694A/7710A MG leads (and will be more flexible.)

Cheers,
    Paul. :thumbsup:

4. a9ennis

a9ennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NewJohn,
    Do not be tempted to purchase expensive component video cables. Making your own is much cheaper and produces much better results.
    I have made several component video cables as described below, i have tested them against a Supra AV3 cable, the difference is night and day. Using the DIY cables the colours richer, better sharpness and much less noise. These cable were tested with a Harmon Kardon DVD25 on a Panny AE700. Using the supra AV3 cable (8m) the edges were fuzzy and up close noise could clearly be seen. Using the DIY cable none of the noise was evident.

Parts
    1) CABLE - High Quality AV Signal Cable (order code-FN74R) @£1.99/m but if you buy a real of 75m it cost you £75. remember you need 3 runs.

2) PLUGS - JZ13P Gld Phono Plg 8mm @ £2.13 each OR L08BF 8mm Shark Phono Set @ £4.27/pair.

Use a good Quality preferably silver solder.

for a 5m cable 15x£1.99 + 3x£4.27 = £42.66 - this cable will beat anthing costing 5 x the price!!!

I am now trying the silver plated cable

Digital Coaxial Cable (order code - N61AR) @ £1.99/m I hope for even better results with this cable.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Belden 1505a and 1694 is the best I found, more info in the sticky on video cables.