1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Blackout board, small screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by godisi, Jun 13, 2004.

1. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people i will soon be building my first diy board for my z2 pj. The thing is i will only have a small viewing distance of around 74" diagonal at 16:9. Whats the best way to have the bo cloth placed onto the frame, im going to have quite a bit left over being such a small screen size.Is this a factor to take into account, could i cut off the excess etc.....

2. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    well black out cloth is only around £5 per meter, so i would not worry about wasted material, and yes you can cut the excess off, in fact you should,
    I have made a few screens now and I would strongly suggest making a wooden frame (not a flat peice of wood) and stretching the cloth over the frame just like making a painting canvas, you wil need a stapler get the little red one from b & q and use the smallest staples, you will have to restaple it a bit as you go along start by stapeling a cross shape, ie, in the middle of each edge, that way you can tension it as you go along , and dont worry about ripping it its pretty strong, I use black velevet a s a screen border as it absorbs the light better and it loooks good too, anyhoo, you should manage ok, if not post another.

Rob