1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY AV Amp to Subwoofer interconnect...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nealgs, Jan 4, 2003.

1. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy New year all

This is the first question i've asked on the forum, so go gentle with me :)

We've recently bought a subwoofer (Blueroom Minipod Bass-Station) and although it fits in sound and aesthetics wise, if it needed to be more wife friendly, then i'd have to move it behind the settee which is approx 30ft (following walls) away.

What can I use to make my own analogue interconnect(?) as the cable cover would need to be white in order to blend in with the skirting boards (Wife Proof part)

Is it possible to use Cat5 cable or something else

cheers all
    Gary

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think cat5 would be any good for this task. You could make up a cable using something like prod code FN74R from http://www.maplin.co.uk , but it's £1.99 a metre, so not cheap. You'd need a soldering iron too to attach the phono plugs for either end, but as you have a DIY amp, I'm assuming that requirement is fulfilled! :)

3. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You could always use XS17T from maplins. It's sheilded also white (though it does have small blue code print on ). I have used it and beleive it makes quite a reasonable I/C:)
    HTH

cheers steve

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies :) - will checkout both products at maplins if/when the need arises.

RichardH - Slight misunderstanding on the title regarding DIY Amp, should explained it a bit batter but it's the cable connecting the amp to the speaker that is the DIY part - Amp is a Yamaha RXV1000RDS :)

cheers all
    Gary

5. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made my sub interconnect using the Shark high grade shielded audio cable from Maplin @ 99p/m. It's not white but you could get some self-adhesive trunking from www.qvselectricalwholesale.co.uk to run it in. I used their trunking to route my surround speaker cables and it blends in very well.

HTH,

_

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Underscore - not sure if the plastic trunking would pass the WAF test (Wife Accecptance Factor).

My idea is to place the cable into the grove in the skirting board, it's the Torus shaped profile skirting so it would fit inbetween the flat part of the skirting and the half circle part at the top

thanks again

Gary

7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After the cable's inserted into the groove, you could always whack a load of decorater's mate (comes in a tube like silicone sealant but can be painted over) and smooth it over - never know it's there then....

8. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wot about using mains cable...that white and i have used it to wire up speakers b4......sounded pretty good ...bit chunky tho not all amps may take it...plugs would have to be used

cheap as chips tho