DIY Ambilight around false wall

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by Dave FR PD130, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Dave FR PD130

Dave FR PD130

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've finally finished my DIY Ambilight setup running leds round my false wall - behind my PJ screen.

The controller uses an Arduino Mega and a simple circuit i made up to provide power for the leds. See Amblone: DIY Ambilight for more info on how to make one.

I've use Cat 5 cables to connect the LED strips, so there are 4 strips or zones.

It looks much more effective in person but you get the idea. The only thing I need to tweek is the delay between the video on screen and the leds changing colour. As a PC has to monitor the video for the pixel colour etc, i need to get my Blue Ray or other source into my laptop...currently I'm using composite to USB converter and VLC player to display it (if the software uses hardware acceleration, amblone can't see the pixels to monitor). The delay is caused by the VLC player more than the usb converter, however the ideal situation would be a HDMI capture card...but they're not cheap! If anyone has any ideas on this part, I'm all ears! :)

Controller-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos below...
    315CF9A5-8893-4361-B5B9-2A9F0D1666F4-2892-000002DCDC8779AF.mp4 video by dave_corsa - Photobucket

A02ABEF8-664A-4F44-9C34-E57296D4EE97-2892-000002E0F40AE4D9.mp4 video by dave_corsa - Photobucket

2. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    you done a cracking job looks like it works realy well, wish i had the know how.

3. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    This looks pretty good! quite tempted to give it a go myself!

4. Dave FR PD130

Dave FR PD130

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys. It's honestly really simple. The hard bits have been done by the guy on the amblone site. I just hope I can get rid of the delay...be sweet as then :)

5. penguinpaul

penguinpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Oh wow, that's impressive!

I've always wondered if the Philips AmBx system could be modified to work for TV.

I guess it could be done how you did it, getting the blu ray fed into the computer.

In this case, could you get rid of the delay by playing the Blu Ray back on the PC (connected to the TV)? Or would the hardware acceleration cause a problem then?