1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Acoustic Screen/Wall

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alaric, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi there,

I'm getting close to needing to build my screen / wall. All of my front speakers will have to stand behind it as they are tall floor standers and the width of the room is not that wide.

So i need to build a false wall with a screen in the middle. I guess the wall will be timber battons in a two paralel verticle lines crossing two horizonatal paralel lines to create a frame, with the screen centred in the middle. The screen will probably be one of the Harkness hall perf/micro-perf, probably with a slight gain to compensate for the loss due to the holes. The rest of the wall will be speaker grill cloth stapled to the frames.

Anyone any expirience with wrapping/stretching a screen - Not sure how to do this, i guess the frame will be Aluminium box section with wadding inside, unsure about internal support (None, Vertical or V maybe ??), but how is the screen attached/stretched ???

Also has anyone used the HH perf screens ???

It would be nice to see a completed wall if anyone has links.

Ta,
    Lee

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've also been looking for a screen frame system without much success. I found an Australian one made by a company called vgrip but they haven't replied to my email asking if they have UK distribution. I'm thinking of possibly going for an eyelet and bungee cord attachment but that doesn't seem to be popular and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Most if not all of the installs I've seen on the web use a commercial fixed frame screen and they're a bit out of my price range.

3. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I Want to build my own screen, the sizes i require i doubt would be available off the shelf even if i did have that amount of money to blow.

Someone with a screen must know how you put the fabric on / stretch it etc ???

Ta,
    Lee

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lee,

If you toddle over to the LCD Projector forum, there's a couple of links in the FAQ there to diy screens, including details of how to stretch the material over a frame without getting any wrinkles. You might find This interesting - it's my own screenwall, with variable masking.

Sean G.

5. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Sean,

I see that the upper and lower masks move together, what happens with the side bars ???

Is it all automated ???

I've not yet considered masking, I guess in my set-up i'd nee acousticaly transparent masking, or the sound would alter ! As such i guess it may be an after thought by having a kind of skinned frames and velcro arangement - But thats secondary to building the screen !

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Lee,

It's constant width, so the side bars don't move. It's not automated in the sense of being motorised - I just manually adjust the masks if the movie is 16:9 - most stuff is 2.35:1 but I've noticed that every dvd isn't exactly and identically alike in the size of the grey bars, so a little adjustment is required now and then.

If you're doing a microperf with the speakers behind the screen, then you can place the speakers across the centerline of the screen and still have masking - the masking is the single biggest "tweak" I've done, enhanced by the black screenwall. The image just sits there in a sea of blackness, and it really helps with the perception of contrast etc. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Regards,

Sean.

7. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Heya sean, really interested in your masking system and thinking about giving it a go. Any chance you could give a quick description of the mechinism and how it works and/or provide any links you know of for masking systems.

Thanks
    Iain