DIY 2.35:1 Scope Screen Help/Advice?

Which format?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apologies as I have indeed completely misread your post.. I have just re read it and makes complete sense . No I haven't installed or even built my screen as yet . I just modified my screen wall and had it plastered (bonding) skimming to be done tomorrow morning.. I then intend to decorate and paint, then add the velvet in the inside of the wall (where the screen will be sat in). Then I am planning on building a 3m wide screen like you and only then I will be looking to purchase the screen material . I have never owned or installed filmex so I can not comment.. I am only going on what I've heard . In the end I may just go with the premium material the Seymour XD as I too have never owned cheap screens or built a DIY screen . Don't really want to buy the filmex and be disappointed so I may just pull the trigger on the XD material.

I am sat approx 5m away fro the screen so I doubt I will notice any weave.. Apart from noticing the weave how did you find the screen overall? Thanks
No problem. I am in the same boat in that I think filmex is probably very good, but I am used to premium material so probably a step down from current. It was about 4 years ago I saw the XD in a dealer demo room, and it seemed good apart from the weave. Once I saw it, it was all I noticed.

I do have very good eyesight though and am very sensitive to motion based interference (I can see the rainbow effect really bad on affected projectors for example), so I might not be a good yardstick.

Thing is quite a few respected bmembrrs here swear by filmex so I am still tempted/ curious.... Grrrr

No problem. I am in the same boat in that I think filmex is probably very good, but I am used to premium material so probably a step down from current. It was about 4 years ago I saw the XD in a dealer demo room, and it seemed good apart from the weave. Once I saw it, it was all I noticed.

I do have very good eyesight though and am very sensitive to motion based interference (I can see the rainbow effect really bad on affected projectors for example), so I might not be a good yardstick.

Thing is quite a few respected bmembrrs here swear by filmex so I am still tempted/ curious.... Grrrr

May definitely be worth giving filmex a go.. I'd be very interested in your findings and may even take that route too.. First I need to focus on completing the screen wall and actually building the frame .

May definitely be worth giving filmex a go.. I'd be very interested in your findings and may even take that route too.. First I need to focus on completing the screen wall and actually building the frame .
I am trying to be cost conscious at the moment as in the last year I have purchased an Epson 10500, lumagen radiance pro, storm amp, extended my room by 1m wide and refurbed, and added some more seats, so I am trying not to waste any money where possible. I already have a 2.4m 16:9 screen with Neo-S and masking, so a 3m screen is pure indulgence at this point. Best bet is probably to just go back to the current 2.4m screen for now and save up for a a larger version of Neo-S.

I am trying to be cost conscious at the moment as in the last year I have purchased an Epson 10500, lumagen radiance pro, storm amp, extended my room by 1m wide and refurbed, and added some more seats, so I am trying not to waste any money where possible. I already have a 2.4m 16:9 screen with Neo-S and masking, so a 3m screen is pure indulgence at this point. Best bet is probably to just go back to the current 2.4m screen for now and save up for a a larger version of Neo-S.
Makes sense.. Would you say the Neo-S is better than the Seymour XD? Also what are the prices in comparison to the XD? Thanks

Neo-S by far the best material I have seen. However, you need a friendly dealer who can get you the material only as usually only supplied as a full screen (unless they have changed the rules in the last 2 years).

Not sure on exact prices, but suspect it is more expensive than XD. Suggest you get some samples of each and get them up on your wall and have a look. I stuck the Neo-S material on my previous screen so I could do a side by side.

@True Romance is there any chance you could take a super close up picture of your filmex screen please? I.e. close enough to make out the weave?

@True Romance is there any chance you could take a super close up picture of your filmex screen please? I.e. close enough to make out the weave?
@True Romance if possible could you also please take some pics of movie footage on the filmex screen especially 4K and 1080p content.. would be much appreciated.. Thank you :)

Sorry guys only just seen this. Will take some photos tonight.

*edit* just waiting for the photos to upload to my amazon drive account. Have been talking a while recently for some reason?? Will check back later.

Last edited:

about 6 inches away

20180730_175842.jpg

around 2 inches away

20180730_175851.jpg

@True Romance if possible could you also please take some pics of movie footage on the filmex screen especially 4K and 1080p content.. would be much appreciated.. Thank you :)

Only quick shots taken with my samsung S9+ The pic of the girls face was just in transition to the next video when I took the photo hence the marks to the right, its not the screen ;)

20180730_175344.jpg

20180730_175433.jpg

20180730_175337.jpg

20180730_174917.jpg

20180730_174716.jpg

20180730_174045.jpg

What distance do you sit from the screen out of interest? Image below is from the screen excellence website showing different fabrics, with the bottom right being the Neo-S. Originally I had the top right material and I found it too noticeable. Filmex looks potentially comparable to either of the top 2 which might rule it out for me (note that no one else ever notices the difference but me - I must be 'special' :(:eek:).

Really appreciate you taking the time though.

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 19.55.27.png

Only quick shots taken with my samsung S9+ The pic of the girls face was just in transition to the next video when I took the photo hence the marks to the right, its not the screen ;)

View attachment 1044667

View attachment 1044668

View attachment 1044669

View attachment 1044670

View attachment 1044672

View attachment 1044671

Really appreciate you taking the time and posting these pics.. Just a quick one.. COCO colours seem a little off in the pic, I can appreciate this was taken with a phone camera but in real are the colours vibrant and accurate or is this something to do with the filmex screen? Star wars also looks a little dull.. I am assuming its the pictures and not like this in real.. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Really appreciate you taking the time and posting these pics.. Just a quick one.. COCO colours seem a little off in the pic, I can appreciate this was taken with a phone camera but in real are the colours vibrant and accurate or is this something to do with the filmex screen? Star wars also looks a little dull.. I am assuming its the pictures and not like this in real.. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
Colours are fine. Just trying to take a pic with my phone in a dark room.

Finished decorating the screen wall.. Next up build the screen

I am planning on using 4 x 1 timber.. Any other recommendations or am I ok with 4 x 1 timber? Thanks guys
IMG_20180801_210219555.jpg

In the middle of building the screen thought I'd upload some pics.. Did pocket screws and used gorilla wood glue on the joints.. So far looks good (I think so anyway lol :) ) I will add some 1 x 1 beading all around the edges tomorrow so that the material won't be touching the main frame when stapled on . Also will paint it all matt black.. Any suggestions are welcome as always
IMG_20180803_182557032.jpg IMG_20180803_201535505.jpg IMG_20180803_170011873.jpg IMG_20180803_201540750.jpg IMG_20180803_201549789.jpg

Nice job, looks great. Hat off to you.
Thanks dude really appreciate your feedback ... However I do kind of regret no going a bit bigger.. I could have gained 8 inches more width had I gone from edge to edge of the wall instead of inside inner wall . 8 inches minus 2 inches (1" black border tape around the edges) so would have gained 6 inches extra width in total making the screen width 123 inches wide from left to right of screen viewing area . Does anyone think its worth Re building another screen tomorrow to see how it comes out. It'll only cost me approx £20?

I think from sitting 5.5m back, you can go wider no problem, but as jfinnie says, try what you have and see how it looks. Sitting a little closer to simulate a larger screen can give you an idea of how it looks from filling your field of view perspective if you can't see the image very well when zoomed larger.

Thanks dude really appreciate your feedback ... However I do kind of regret no going a bit bigger.. I could have gained 8 inches more width had I gone from edge to edge of the wall instead of inside inner wall . 8 inches minus 2 inches (1" black border tape around the edges) so would have gained 6 inches extra width in total making the screen width 123 inches wide from left to right of screen viewing area . Does anyone think its worth Re building another screen tomorrow to see how it comes out. It'll only cost me approx £20?
Yes. Bigger is better. I admit I though my bigger screen would be too big until I tried it, but now love it and so does everyone who sees it. So much more cinematic.

As an aside I have decided to go with the screen excellence Neo-S material (just called Neo now) over the lycra or filmex .Going to do it once and do it right.

Thanks guys.. I am going to go bigger as I am only going to do it once as mentioned on here and I don't want to have any regrets.. I can build my frame max of 127" wide and using the screen calculator that would be 53" tall which will then give me a diagonal picture of 138".

I will want to put velvet tape around the side and all around the edges of my screen. I think 1" velvet is good enough I don't think I should go with 2" as I think it may defeat the purpose because I will loose 4 inches (2" on each side) however by going with 1" I will only use 2" on sides as total so actual viewing area would be 127" - 2" = 125" wide and that is a viewing diagonal of 136" which is awesome I guess comparing to if I leave it with the screen I built it would be a diagonal screen viewing of 126" so an extra 10" diagonal if I go larger..

I think I will be doing so because I know I probably would regret it and once the filmex is on that's the end of story so I will more than likely go bigger.

The only negative is it will be hung on the outside of the wall and protruded out only by 3/4 of an inch which isn't too bad I guess.

Any tips on how I can mount this? I was thinking using french cleats like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Pict..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6QSSFEMVWEAWQ2WD9748

Also any tips on where I can and which one to get the velvet tape? 1" or 2" what is recommended? Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes. Bigger is better. I admit I though my bigger screen would be too big until I tried it, but now love it and so does everyone who sees it. So much more cinematic.

As an aside I have decided to go with the screen excellence Neo-S material (just called Neo now) over the lycra or filmex .Going to do it once and do it right.

Out of interest how many layers do you need and how much is it going to cost you? Also where am I able to get a quote from please? If you could let me know who to email or call etc.. Many thanks :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom