DIY 15 incher with SVS 325W BASH plate amp

DLowe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

it's looking like I have purchased a SVS 325W BASH plate amp from the for sale section and will be starting my own DIY AV sub,

I intend to use a car based sub to keep costs down, either a 15inch Audiobahn sub or 12inch Infinity Kappa.

any advice greatfully received as to which will match the amp best.

the enclosure will be CNC cut by a mate in the business and will have a solid wood - probably walnut or oak top and bottom, recessed to stop flex and 22mm MDF centre to keep costs down, this will be covered in a material, possibly real cowhide :)

so far I have this as my sketchup design:

and the parts to make it up (back to be cut to suit amp when its in my hand to measure):

it will probably be 80L volume for the 12inch (450x450x450 external) 0r
150L for the 15 (600x600x450 external), will this be adequate with polyfill fibre inside?

cheers for the help :)

sort of similar:

this is the one I made for the car, which I'm very pleased with the sound from (not done final finishing yet), but the volume, depth and sound compared to a off the shelf box is phenominal :)

An AW 150t will go nice with that amp and size cabinet.

so that's the Audiobahn 15 incher then?

I forgot to say it's for a mix of movie and music, pretty much 50/50, that was the reason for not going ported, wanting a good fast punch as well as low notes.

will this have any bearing on size to choose?

How big can you go. The audiobahn is a great driver for the money but they can be hard to get. What's your budget nor driver.

I'm in the process of moving house so everything is on a budget at the min,

Looking to spend £100 max on the driver, with a view to upgrade later if needed.

Didn't want to go much bigger than the 15 and 600x600x450

That's OK, I'm just thinking the combo I mentioned would go well, but with that amp there's ain't many drivers that can better that driver with that power or size cabinet, you could look at a Dayton when upgrading.

Have you got specs on amp, the other driver is a audiobahn aw1500v but it's an 8 or 2 ohm driver and I don't think that amp will have the power in 8 ohm or run at 2 ohm.

The jbl might be worth looking at.

I will try model some for you later today if you like and get back to you.

I hope that car sub box is bolted through the floor with some large washers or plates to spread the load as otherwise that will literally take your head off in an accident... :eek:

It's secured with 2x 5t ratchet tie downs to the boot floor,

I would appreciate the model and your thoughts on how it will perform and any alterations I could make, cheers

i work out those dimension for the 15" to be about 110l thats with 25mm mdf and am double thick front baffle.

both the audiobahns need a bigger box but would still go in that no probelm,

the 150t would need 175wrms so the svs amp would run that with no probelm,
performance wise you looking at about 97.2db at 20hz

now depending on what the amp can run at 8ohms, if it could give the aw1500v 200wrms
then that would hit 103db at 20hz(thats like 2x 150t drivers)

thie 1500v is a cleaner sounding driver to but more money, also the 1500v in that size enclosure would give you more safe zone as it less likely to hit its xmax then the 150t.

add 6db(maybe more) for in room performance.

This is the amp:

For Sale - SVS Plate Amplifier, 325w BASH from a 20-39 PCi Cylinder | AVForums

don't really know much about it other than the 325W rms and it can handle 4ohms.

the dimensions may change slightly as I am planning to make a matching cabinet, but instead of a driver in the front, having it hollow with glass shelving for AV amp/blu ray/PS4 and youview box to balance the room.

EDIT:

just had a look around the Audiobahn site and they seem to recommend a box between 1 + 3 cu.ft, is it best to ignore the manufacturer specs and build to experience? not really messed around much in the world of AV diy, for the car I used the MAX volume recommended for the sub in the spec sheet then didn't fill with polyfill and didn't deduct the size of the driver for safety

Last edited:
I think you need to work out the size for sure then we can try get the best driver for that cabinet and future upgrade.

I wouldn't use their recommended size.

Ok so I think I am sticking to the 600x600x450 box, the amp arrived today.....

Should I order the audiobahn aw150t for £63 off eBay or look for something better?

Ta

Other than that driver there might be something like a jbl which I will have a look and model for you ASAP if that's any good for you. I think the audiobahn will probably be the best for under a tone.

your a star - cheers bud,

only asking so soon because I can't find the audiobahn sub anywhere but ebay, and if its as good as it seems then I don't want to miss out for 60 odd quid :)

your a star - cheers bud,

only asking so soon because I can't find the audiobahn sub anywhere but ebay, and if its as good as it seems then I don't want to miss out for 60 odd quid :)
Go for it I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Not so long ago they where 30 quid. The audiobahn drivers have got hard to get hold of again.

so here is what I think will be the final design:

simple, but should look good, just some slight touches like the chamfered leading edge, I think I will cover the centre in black suede or alacantara with dark Oak or Walnut top/bottom depending on proice

Looking good so far!

Sub arrived today..... but unfortunately they sent the wrong one :(

a aw1571 T is what has been sent with 2x 4ohm voice coils... so its no good, 2 or 8 ohm configurations, so I doubt the amp will cope/drive enough.

so now to start the ball ache of swapping a ebay buy :suicide:

but in better news, the design has been submitted to the joiners

Sub arrived today..... but unfortunately they sent the wrong one :(

a aw1571 T is what has been sent with 2x 4ohm voice coils... so its no good, 2 or 8 ohm configurations, so I doubt the amp will cope/drive enough.

so now to start the ball ache of swapping a ebay buy :suicide:

but in better news, the design has been submitted to the joiners
Make sure they cover postage.

spoke to company today, to be fair they have been quite good so far... they rang me at 9am to confirm the mistake, have said if I return it to them and provide a receipt they will pay the postage costs and sent the right one out.

They said they are in the same looking box, with just the product code different so I can understand the mistake, I just hope that it pans out ok.

Received word from the joiners - they will look into the costs over the weekend for me :)

another question.....

what about cabinet feet? are spikes necessary? or would alloy cylinders be ok with felt pads for protection or even 75 or 100mm diameter nylon block?

What ever you like just make sure it don't slide about.

I can vouch for the 1500V as I went for 2 at £70 a pop but they have gone up in price now..........And that Alpine amp looks very familiar as I have one just like it running some components plus the dog guard saves clamping my boxes lol.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom