Dixons to Stop Selling VCR's after Christmas.

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Flimber, Nov 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
  2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    Just read that Dixons are to abandon vhs recorders, and expect to sell off all remaining stock by christmas. hmmm, a bit early to be making that move i think. But if it helps to increase the sales of DVD-HD recorders (and hopefully drive down the prices), then i'm all for it.

MODS - please delete this repeated thread - doh!!

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    hmmm, a bit early to be making that move i think. But if it helps to increase the sales of DVD-HD recorders (and hopefully drive down the prices), then i'm all for it.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I suppose it makes more sense to send all the old codgers to the supermarket for a VCR.
    There must be so little profit in it now that it can't be worth using an assistant's time trying to explain how the timer works to all the thickies for six months after they bought the thing. :D

Hmm.... then again I don't think they are daft enough to do that in Dixons anyway.
    Read the instruction book mate , that's what it's for. :laugh:

VCR timers must be one of the strangest things to master, people from all walks of life, supposedly intelligent, like doctors, dentists, solicitors and teachers have failed miserably to conquer the challenge of " setting the video ". :confused:
    When it comes to recording off SKY that must be black magic, no chance. :blush:

Sky+ changed all that. :thumbsup:

Never had a problem with VCR timers myself, but then unusually I do read the instruction books ! :lesson:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    are they going to keep selling DVD VCR combos tho?

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,147
    Funny you should mention that. I've got a 5 year old Panasonic VCR (cant believe its been that long), and the timer setup is very good indeed. So good infact that at a recent show, i noticed Sony and Panasonic were using the same layout in their latest DVD-HD recorders, for recoding off an external source (sky etc). Pretty far-sighted of Panasonic from 5 years ago :smashin:

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Brilliant perhaps Vhs will die now - well it is about time!

8. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Bit sad really, they started all this off!
    Having now got a dvd/hdd recorder vcrs do feel ancient, but I've still got a working Sony c9 Betamax recorder that I'd be very sad to throw out. Anyone else still got a working one? It's picture seems as good as a s-vhs machine

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,880
    Or better still merge.

I saw it on Breakfast news myself. The only trouble is they have not het sorted a standard out.
    Also Blu ray is a couple of years down the road what do Dixon’s want you to do upgrade to DVD and again in two more years.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I've never understood peoples inability to set the VCR timer, i was doing it when i was 8 but then again most people wouldn't know how to use DOS when there that old. :blush:

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No C9 but I have a Sony SL-HF950, SL-HF100P, and a Sanyo VTC-M40

The 950 blows away SVHS!

12. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    This story has been given quite a bit of media coverage hasn't it? It was mentioned on the main, national ITV1 news bulletin at 6.30 tonight...

Personally, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. So Dixons are to stop selling VCR's! I thought most people avoided the DSG Retail Group (Dixons/Curry's/PC World etc) like the plauge when it comes down to buying any major electrical purchase like a tv/video etc. (If you don't know what I am talking about, try buying something major from this retailer and if it goes wrong, you try and get it sorted without any hassle!) Let's just say Customer Service isn't exactly their strong point...

Many other retailers have said today that they will continue to stock VCR's all the time the demand is there. Whilst many of us here fully realise that yes, VHS is to become a dying breed over the next few years, I still think alot of people will want to buy one over a DVD recorder... (Personally not me - I don't use VHS anymore really, all apart from making back up copies of tapes to discs) but I still feel there is a demand.

So, just because Dixons tells us they are to stop selling them is no cause for a news story/hype... In fact, if anything, they will probably loose business and save their potential customers alot of time and trouble when they go elsewhere to make their purchases.

13. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    At the price they can now fetch the profit margin on VCR's must be vanishingly small. Whether people still want them will rapidly become irrelevant. I suspect they will almost disapear in the next six months. Combined DVD /VCR's may survive a few months longer.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You said it 1st! A great career in retailing beckons.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    None of the other retailers seem to be following Dixons' lead !

Sure, there are DVD recorders out there now, but prices start at around £160 for half-decent ones. You can buy a VHS machine for £50.

16. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    A price differential of 110 squid between a sixteen year old obsolete technologhy and the current format would seem to me to make the case for the DVD. VHS PQ was not even state of the art recording tech when it was new; Why any one would settle for it now is difficult to understand. Anyway if any one actually wants to buy a cheap VHS cassette recorder now they need to do it quick as no one is going to carry on manufacturing them at these bargain bin prices.

17. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Personally, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. So Dixons are to stop selling VCR's! I thought most people avoided the DSG Retail Group (Dixons/Curry's/PC World etc) like the plauge when it comes down to buying any major electrical purchase like a tv/video etc. (If you don't know what I am talking about, try buying something major from this retailer and if it goes wrong, you try and get it sorted without any hassle!) Let's just say Customer Service isn't exactly their strong point...

Many other retailers have said today that they will continue to stock VCR's all the time the demand is there. Whilst many of us here fully realise that yes, VHS is to become a dying breed over the next few years, I still think alot of people will want to buy one over a DVD recorder... (Personally not me - I don't use VHS anymore really, all apart from making back up copies of tapes to discs) but I still feel there is a demand.

So, just because Dixons tells us they are to stop selling them is no cause for a news story/hype... In fact, if anything, they will probably loose business and save their potential customers alot of time and trouble when they go elsewhere to make their purchases.