dixons selling display pdp434 for 3k

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by dingo8yobaby, Aug 24, 2004.

1. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    do you guys think its worth it?

2. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds cheap. Pricerunners cheapest price is £3,200 odd.

Zedzed

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,845
    Ex-display item? Does it have the word "Dixons" permanently burnt into the screen, right across the middle, in large letters? Make sure you take a good long, hard look at it, with a plain white image on display.

4. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm... the website states it is £3,493.21, and the instore price is (get this!) £9,999.97.

You gotta love those Dixons / Curry's guys. It's this kind of incompetance that really makes me want to spend 3 and a half K with them...

5. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would anyone want to buy from Dixons???

There are plenty of reputable Internet companies that offer better service and cheaper prices.

And remember buy on plastic credit and you’re covered against companies going bust - including Dixons :laugh:

6. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    John Lewis pricematched Hispek's 3349.88 offer for me at the weekend- that price includes stand and speakers and is the cheapest I've seen both instore and online. It also includes their 5 year warranty...

7. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    i saw it at dixons in marble arch, it looked in good cond and 3k is a steal. especially with 12 months interest free the offer-very tempting!

8. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, Ok, but don't forget it's not interest free if you don't pay it off within the 12 months and you need a deposit.

You could go for a 0% for 9months credit card. This way you're also consumer protected and no deposit, so you pay nothing for at least a month. It may take a while to get the card approved though. ;)

If you do get one from Dixons, just make sure it's brand new. (unless it's the exdemo they are selling) It's probably been on for months, eating into the lifespan of the screen. And you don't want that. :nono: .

If th price is good then I suppose you have to get one. I'm just not one for getting anything from Dixons as I don't think their service is any good. You may fine an exception. :zonked:

Happy Plasma shopping. :thumbsup:

Len

9. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with BigKung on the finance situation - that 29%APR after 12months could be a killer.Also, Dixons is well known for selling 'reconditioned' stock. This plasma could could of been sat in the shop window, someones lounge, a storage warehouse, had buttons pushed and prodded by the general public, cables rammed in and out of it, probably little consideration for screen burn issues....

I'm not trying to put you off (really!) it's just worth considering these things. I'f I was you, i'd pay the few quid more and get a brand new one from anywhere but Dixons. Unless of course the nice staff in there can guarantee it's in perfect factory condition. It's a lot of money to spend, and you may be better off supporting your small local idependant hi-fi shop. When you hit trouble, they'll support you too.

10. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ooo, and the warranty. Don't let them sell you a warranty, just for once ask them if they will give YOU a warranty like John Lewis does, for free.

I don't have anything against Dixons, I just hate it when massive companies like that refuse to train staff properly, unless it's on how to sell you extended an extended warranty on a 3 pin plug or something. Experts at that they are...

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,845
    The words "good deal" and "Dixon$" rarely go well together in the same sentence, unless the sentence also contains a negative.

12. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen these sets in Dixons/Currys for the price mentioned (3K). In EVERY case they are ex-display models. I saw one that was sold with the buyers name on it, the note being dated three days ago, and it was STILL on display and switched on?

I even saw one in a Currys that was chipped around the facia and had permanent scratches on it...and the screen was flickering. That was 3K too.

Pay a bit more and get from somewhere else.