Dixons or Currys - no Sony LCDs

spice2019

Established Member
Reaction score
Why don't Dixons or Currys sell Sony LCD's online? :confused:

I believe Sony have stopped supplying DSG full stop.

Yep, confirmed as i work at Currys part time (for my sins).

Its a stock issue, DSG group were not happy at supply and prices so have pulled plug on Sony for the time being, all stock is being sold off so haggle on prices as there won'nt be many left in stock.

Rizel23 said:
Yep, confirmed as i work at Currys part time (for my sins).

Its a stock issue, DSG group were not happy at supply and prices so have pulled plug on Sony for the time being, all stock is being sold off so haggle on prices as there won'nt be many left in stock.

Thats the DSG story. I think there may be a bit more in it than that mate. Sony stock is freely available for one. Trust me from the time i've spent in retail, what is told to the troops isn't the whole truth just what the upper management want you to know.

Right that explains alot, strange that Currys and Dixons won't sell what are considered the leading electrical company/brand in the world. I guess that sums up the DSG group!

I think it will be more of a Sony decision than DSGs. There is no way they would stop selling Sony through choice it would be like not selling Hoptpoint white goods through choice, all it will achieve is lost sales.

Still, I'm flabbergasted that the UK's leading electrical retailer don't sell Sony anymore. Unbelievable!

Sorry, i should have been a bit clearer, its the prices that Sony are trying to sell there goods to the DGS group which is the problem, there is more of a profit to be made on other brands, hence why the DGS group are'nt that bothered for the time being and are making a stand on it with Sony, why would the DGS group drop Sony brands otherwise being the largest electrical retailer in the UK and over europe? Come eary december time you will see Sony products in store again.

I know the bad reputation that Currys carries nationwide, but our store is actually very good for knowlegde on the TV department, with some excellent managers. Ideal if you want to work part time whilst you study,...like me.

Rizel23 said:
I know the bad reputation that Currys carries nationwide, but our store is actually very good for knowlegde on the TV department, with some excellent managers. Ideal if you want to work part time whilst you study,...like me.

I keep saying that to people. Different stores even in the large companies have different levels of knowledge and service even within the same company. Its all down to the people in the stores.

I think it is a big mistake if DSG have made this decision. The main one being that now Comet will be pushing the Sony sets like mad knowing that there only major store based competitor cant compete. It seems a strange time to drop Sony given that the current range of sony LCDs have been very well reviewed and for the first time that i have seen compare favourably with their major competitor (Panasonic). Its very hard to switch sell to another brand if you dont stock the brand the customer originally wanted in the first place because people dont believe you if you dont have them in. 20% margin is better than losing sales.

I'm supprised that many people are bothered by this on here......

Doesn't everyone on here slag of the highstreet and buy all there goods online (ok maybe not all)........

Doesn't everyone on here slag of how much Sony items cost instore and use pricerunner/froogle to find the best deal???

Whats the big deal???

Or.......... has everyone just worked out that if everyone was as smart as us and bought online no-one would ever know what these items were like to touch apart from posts on forums like this.......que all retailers employing people to post fanboy reports to suck us all in!!!

OK rant over!!!:D

Lucky were you drunk when you put that reply up? I bet more people buy from shops than on the internet even on here. The surprise is that the biggest high street retalier is not selling the best selling brand, it just doesn't make sense.

Are you saying you only like the "Where can i buy a ........ the cheapest online?" threads. I wouldn't buy anything as big as a TV online its just not worth the hassle if you have any problems or need any help.

Oh and just for the record for every one person that moans about a particular retailer there will be at least another 100 or so that are more than happy with their purchase. They just dont come on here.

Dixons and Currys won't be in business for that long, so it's not really an issue. In this tough competitive market, they are simply not good enough.
I've never bought in there, but they have been useful to go and see what things look like.

There is more chance Jade Goody will be the next PM than there is of DSG going under.

Hi there all, I have been reading avforums for some time but this is my first post, yes it is true that DSG are not currently selling Sony TV's at the moment. This may change though, as someone who works for the group part time, I know that it has nothing to do with stock issues.

It seems that a lot of people love to assume things or cannot be bothered to get their facts straight. There are some reasons why DSG are not currently offering Sony products, but the main reason is Currys 'Whatever Happens' policy. The 'Whatever Happens' policy states that if your TV goes faulty, an engineer will be around to your house within '2 days', while other manufacturers have no problem with the 2 Day agreement, Sony are not willing to commit to it. So Currys cannot sell their 'Whatever Happens' agreement with Sony TV's.

Sony and DSG may resolve this issue in the near future or they may not, I don't know, but until then, no Sony TV's from DSG.

Hope this post helps, regards.

luckyb** said:
I'm supprised that many people are bothered by this on here......

Doesn't everyone on here slag of the highstreet and buy all there goods online (ok maybe not all)........

Doesn't everyone on here slag of how much Sony items cost instore and use pricerunner/froogle to find the best deal???

Whats the big deal???

Or.......... has everyone just worked out that if everyone was as smart as us and bought online no-one would ever know what these items were like to touch apart from posts on forums like this.......que all retailers employing people to post fanboy reports to suck us all in!!!

OK rant over!!!:D

Buying a TV online is a hassle if things go wrong. I don't feel that comfortable doing it. Most of the online shops are easy to buy from but offer pathetic customer service when things go wrong. I bought a Panasonic TX-32LXD60 online but returned it, luckily I made sure I found a local online store (Digital-Point), so I returned the LCD myself.

Also, Currys & Dixons are about the only place that offer 12 months Buy Now Pay Later 0%. Easy for spreading small payments.

mhsslinky said:
Are you saying you only like the "Where can i buy a ........ the cheapest online?" threads. I wouldn't buy anything as big as a TV online its just not worth the hassle if you have any problems or need any help.

Completely the opposite for me. I wouldn't buy a TV in store ONLY on the interent. The distance selling regulations make it mighty easy for us to change our mind when we buy online, sending the TV back if we don't like it, faulty, too big, or small, or anything really.... The prices you can get online also make it better on the pocket :)

I'd always look at the TV in store and then buy online... makes sense....

I honestly don't think it makes that much difference to the consumer whether DSG have stopped selling Sony LCD's or not. There are bargains around if you want to look for them.

When you look at the 46X2000 it's £4000 in John Lewis, approx £3500 in Sony Centres with a bit of haggling and roughly £3000 online. There's no way DSG would be selling this TV at anywhere near £3000 because incompetent head office management and the chav's in store need to be paid for!

onesandtwos said:
I'd always look at the TV in store and then buy online... makes sense....

Yeah, it's always good to have a fiddle and see if you like the product beforehand.

spice2019 said:
Right that explains alot, strange that Currys and Dixons won't sell what are considered the leading electrical company/brand in the world. I guess that sums up the DSG group!

But neither do Sevenoaks Sound and Vision!

Right definate answer to this this now, i got board at work and rang headoffice :)

Reason why DGS group won't be stocking Sony TVs anymore is down to warranty issue, Sony only want the DGS group to push there own extended warranty not the DGS groups 'Whateverhappens' warranty, so no more Sony TVs for a while to come as warranty's is where the profit is, hope this helps peeps asking.

Also, to address issue as if electrical stores will continue, predictions are that within 2 years either Currys or comet will go, but as you would expect, the DGS group are pretty confident that it will be Comet

Rizel23 said:
Right definate answer to this this now, i got board at work and rang headoffice :)

Reason why DGS group won't be stocking Sony TVs anymore is down to warranty issue, Sony only want the DGS group to push there own extended warranty not the DGS groups 'Whateverhappens' warranty, so no more Sony TVs for a while to come as warranty's is where the profit is, hope this helps peeps asking.

Also, to address issue as if electrical stores will continue, predictions are that within 2 years either Currys or comet will go, but as you would expect, the DGS group are pretty confident that it will be Comet

However, I should add that the group DSG don't encompass Comet do they?

Comet are a completely separate company with no connections with Currys or Dixons (Curry's digital etc.)

HHGTTG said:
However, I should add that the group DSG don't encompass Comet do they?

Comet are a completely separate company with no connections with Currys or Dixons (Curry's digital etc.)

Yes, that is true. Comet and Currys/Dixons are enemies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom