1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dixons LG Mobile Scam.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by scitech, May 19, 2005.

1. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I bought an LG mobile on contract from Dixons back in early December. What attracted me to the offer was that in the window they were advertising it at £5 per month for the first six months via a cashback scheme.

When I came to send back my first four bills and fill out the paper work I noticed in the small print that it only applied to phones bought by November 31st (I think - but definitely before I bought the phone anyway).

I'm really peeded off about this, I know you should always read the smallprint blah blah, but the fact that no one told me in store and they were still advertising the offer after it had expired is really underhand I think :mad: .

I sent off the paperwork just on the off chance but the company involved (a sub contractor) wrote back saying no go.

Has anyone else been caught out by this and is there any recourse I can take?

Thanks in advance.

Scitech

2. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can sue dixons for misselling

if you can prove the poster was still up when you bought the phone you have a good case

3. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be very difficult. I can't really see anything I can do about it now. I would be interested to know how many people fell for it though.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Despite the wording on the contract, if you specifically asked for this phone because of this deal, the assistant made any references to this deal, or you made the puchase based on the advertisements then 'as far as you are aware' you have contracted to this deal.

Your contract is not just the written form, and can include any verbal statements or implied terms (ie the advertisement).

Get in touch with the company again and state your claim. You could try Trading Standards, but I have found them to be less informed on mobile contracts.

IIRC, there is some sympathy with the buyer - as buying a mobile is such a common thing nowadays, that reading a 4 page T&C small print in the shop at the time of sale is the exception rather than the rule.

Mention that if they refuse the cashback, then you will consider them in breach of contract, and will take steps to get the contract annulled and claim costs.

5. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Woody67, you speak wisely.

I think I'll fire off a letter to Dixons tomorrow.

Thanks.

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update:

I sent Dixons a letter a couple of days ago. I had a message on the phone from the branch I bought the phone from when I got home today.

Apparently, I'd been given the wrong paperwork and they had the right one there if I could just call in and pick it up. The message also said that the offer expires on the 30th May so we need to be quick.

I called the geezer back and said that he'd have to post the forms to me and I made it quite clear that if I missed the deadline for submitting the form I would consider Dixons to be responsible for the reimbursement of my money.

We'll see what happens...