dixons - lack of knowledge

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by colinpost, Aug 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. colinpost

colinpost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went the dixon store (largest ouside london) in my home town of cardiff, and enqiured about combi recorders with HDD. I was looking for HDD/DVD or HDD/VCR combis.

well you'd think i just came from mars, as i left feeling really small !, as they had never heard of the HDD technology for video recording and gave me funny looks. A bit daft as they are selling sky+ and once did the TIVO..... dont they know these things work ??. Well it was my own fault as i honestly believed they would be interested of whats happing tomorrow, and not in just obtaining sales !

any way ..anyone out there have any info of forth coming combis like the JVC HM-HDS4 (SVHS/HDD Combi)
    cheers
    :confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    This is already available. RGB Direct, for example, have it available for £560 (you'll need to go to Video recorders section):

http://www.rgbwap.co.uk/mainscreen.htm

To be honest, and this is only my opinion which others may correct, but this seems an expensive backward looking machine. Especially when you can get a DVDR/HDD combo (Toshiba RDXS30) for around £30 LESS from the same store! Still if you need VHS that badly you can't go wrong with a JVC machine IMHO.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Job spec for a Dixon$ 'customer sales adviser':

1: Ability to recognise, from body language, whether or not a member of the public, in the store, is either just sheltering from the rain (etc) or actually wants to buy. Only approach the FORMER with 'can I help'? True customers will ask for help when they want it.

2: Total recall of which items on sale carry the greatest store, and personal, sales commission, and the callous ability to recommend such items over others.

3: Total recall of the price and 'benefits' of extended warranties, and the callous ability to refuse to sell pretty much anything, without an extended warranty.

4: Ability to read shelf-edge labels for product specs and features.

5: Complete absence of any other useful knowledge.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Dixons, whatever you say about them, at least they do good business, unlike various on-line dealers and assorted B & M s who are struggling to pay the rent.
    Ask PowerHouse ! :cool:
    Dixons know how to make money from customers without wasting much time providing demos and info. Sell the warranty to people who already know what they want or can be persuaded what to buy in under 5 or 10 minutes.
    At least forum members know the score. :)

5. ChrisA

ChrisA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Colinpost,

Here's info on the HM-HDS4 (http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HM-HDS4EK&catid=100084) which as stated is available now. I've had one for about six weks and have been very happy with it. I understand the earlier point about the VHS/HDD combi seeming to look backwards versus HDD/DVD combi's but I don't archive stuff anyway. If I change my mind then DVD recorder prices are dropping like the proverbial stone.

The 80Gb HDD is great and blows away most alternatives for now (although the Pace twin can be upgraded for about the same cost - lots of coverage elsewhere in these forums). Having lived with HDD I only wish I'd bought TIVO now!

Regards

C

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The last thing I brought from Dixons was a Sinclair Spectrum ZX81+ way back in the early 80s. I had alot of problems with it - had to return the Spectrum itself 3 times, the tape drive 10 times, the joystick 4 times and most of the 'free' games half a dozen times. Might just have been unlucky I suppose but have avoided them like the plague since.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    If only!!!
    The last thing I bought from Dixons was my TiVo (sorry to rub it in ChrisA :devil: ). I walked into the shop intending to buy the TiVo and stood beside a 5 foot high advert for it. The sales assistant walked up and asked if I needed help. I then started asking questions about TiVo with all the answers on the 5ft advert. He got nearly all of the answers wrong! :nono:
    Once the sale was agreed he then tried to sell an extended warrenty saying that if the video heads were to go wrong it would be an expensive repair :suicide: . I then explained that it used a PC hard disk with 'NO heads'. So he went and got the manager who offered me the extended warrenty :mad: .

:devil: Now I need a new coffee cup holder for my PC! :laugh: I think I'll go and see what the Dixons salesman can offer (including extended warrenty of course).

Mark.

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Got it in one nigel. I wnt shopping to Dixons for my first E20 machine and to their credit i managed to get a near price match reduction in price based on another near by store selling what was believed to be "Grey imports of the same"

However. When i first approached a sales man he said wait a moment i will get someone that knows about these things.:D

Along came this guy and at my request went about setting up an E20 for demo. This "Expert" hadn't got a clue how to set it up and couldn't get a picture. Me. Who at that moment in time had never used a DVD player let alone a DVD recorder managed to tell him what cable to connect and eventually he gave some limited demo to me.

You are right about the "extended warranty gaff" He tried his hardest (and failed) to persuade me to spend another £300 or so extending the warranty and that was supposed to be at a discount.

Although your post is perhaps tongue in cheak, sadly it rings with a lot of truth.

9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about this........an unexperienced friend of mine went into comet asking various questions on plasmas........The old "they need to be re-filled every ten years story came out and " never leave them on standby as it can use upto twice..YES TWICE..the normal amount of electricity!!!
    Im goin with him @ the weekend when he returns for more comedy...i mean advice and when i correct him i want to know his reaction..etc

Should be fun!
    Even though its very annoying to think people will be tricked into signing their life away on warrenties etc.
    Danny-p

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    It is annoying the way stores try to flog extended warranties these days. I made the mistake of purchasing a laptop from Dell a few months back and now get a phone call every couple of weeks to try and sell me a extended warranty because "the motherboard might blow".

IMHO if a piece of electronics equipments works for the first few months it will generally work until wear and tear take their toll. Unless it was made by Philips that is... :D

11. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'l echo that.....lol

12. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey colinpost,
    I remember way back just before the "Alien Box Set" came out and I entered my local Woolworths and asked " Is the new Alien Boxset out yet"...............Long pause...............She relplied.." Jesus sweetheart.....I only work hear". Under my already angry breath I murmered "Only F***in just"...... And left.... Answer shop online or just dont shop... Mind things have really changed since then. You just about get anythin' yer want ...:laugh:

13. Memphis Raines

Memphis Raines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work for Dixons and you have no idea how much emphasis is made on extended warranty / coverplan or whatever they want to call it this week.
    Each member of staff must obtain at least 10% of there sales through cover or they will get a roasting from the manager as the manager gets a large bonus if the store hits coverplan target (usually 25% more than last year).

We are supposed to have PRODUCT training every Wednesday, however for the past two years this has degraded down to "sell more cover than yesterday", so you can't really blame the sales staff for reading off of the shelf-edge labels for product specs and features as this is THE ONLY METHOD OF TRAINING WE GET-PERIOD, although the lack of general knowledge of most members of staff is totally unacceptable, I’m alright as I’m always on here!! :)

we are legally obliged to ask every customer about warranty as its in our contract, and the real bugger is that you don’t get any extra bonuses for cover, but the customer always assumes that your doing it to get a huge bonus and retire or something, luckily I don’t want to sell it and the customer don't want it so that’s just dandy with me, but it really annoys my manager! ;)

My own personal favourite quote...

Customer: "so what's the difference between Windows Xp Professional edition and Windows 2000?"

Member of staff (not me I might add!): "The feedback"

That was the extent of his answer, and the customer STILL bought the laptop, more fool him! :mad:

Still the staff don't normally get what you would call "Normal" people or questions and so the one intelligent person you may get a week can totally stump you out as you are not just going through the same old patter.

For example I swear I tell approximately 15 people a day to PUSH the doors on their way out as they will stand in front on them waiting for something to happen, and I don’t just mean a quick "oh silly me you have to push" I mean people walking back up to the till and asking how you get out as the doors don't work, I’m also sick of people asking for scarf leads...:rolleyes:

Just as a quick note we don't currently sell any HDD recorders as SKY+ is done through Sky (the just phone sky and tell them that the customer wants sky plus, after this everything is done through sky) -meaning that the staff would not have even seen the box or how it works, and we don’t sell TIVO anymore.

God I HATE working for them, lucky it’s just for pocket money whilst I do my degree.

P.S
    If at any point it seemed like I didn't agree 100% with colinpost and nigel then you've read this wrong

P.P.S SORRY for going on but I just wanted you to get a little insight into the workings of my employers.:rolleyes:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Colin and pop in to see me and have a nice informed chat about all technologies... There are some staff at XL that know what they ARE DOING!!!!!! But you have to know who they are!!!

15. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Surprised that many ! :D

16. Memphis Raines

Memphis Raines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: