1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dixons discover amazing new surround technology!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pointon, Jan 16, 2002.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was feeling a bit down this morning, wondering about the town, so I thought I'd pop into Dixons for a bit and cheer myself up by asking the sales assistants difficult questions.

While I was in there, I noticed next to the PS2 they were selling a revolutionary piece of kit. A full speaker and sub package for use with the console. I was amazed to see that these speakers, being offered for a fantastic price of £179.99, were able to give full 'Dolby Pro-logic 5.1 surround sound'.

After a long discussion about how this was not actually possible with one of the many store assistants who tried to jump on me, I was informed that it was a new type of surround sound. I asked if they meant Dolby Pro II, but was told that I was talking about Dolby Digital but just didn't know it.

Apparently, according to this one assistant, the speakers need to be set out with the subwoofer on top of the TV, with the centre speaker on top of the sub, or next to it if I like. The other four speakers need to be put in a row in front of me to make a nice semi-circular path with the sub and centre. I nodded a lot.

I then walked out of Dixons much happier than when I went in, safe in the knowledge that these people don't know what they're talking about one bit...

Not much point to this, but I thought I'd share anyway.

2. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scary.

Please don't feed the monkeys!

3. bassman

bassman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was a great joke or were you actually talking fact.

At the end of the day DIXONS and the likes are a BUNCH OF COMEDIANS who seem to think that they have THE KNOWLEDGE and the public are just a bunch of idiots who will buy whatever they say.

WE IN THE AVFORUM KNOW BETTER THOUGH !!

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The absolute truth.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    ROFL...!!!

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i can't belive that... Dixons have been very good to me over the years, and have always known what they are doing...!

It was only the other day they told a couple if they wanted a stereo tele they would have to buy 2xmono TV's, place them 1.5m apart, make sure you have the same channel on both TV's, otherwise the sound effects are spoilt.........!!

Pointon....next time you are in Dixons ask them if you bought 2xsets you would get 10.2 or stonehenge........!

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Dixons.

First for New Technology.

(Not)

By the way - is that ProLogic 5.1 semicircle supposed to be concave or convex?

8. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my feeling is that if you did buy two sets of their speakers, you could then have two of those nice semi-circle things, and unless my basic geometry has gone wrong, that would in fact give you proper surround sound, if you think about it. :clown:

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    but you'd need 2 TV's to put the Sub-woofers on....

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Truly frightening. The crap they pass on to the general public.:rolleyes:

At least train your sales staff about the products or maybe the muppets training the muppets havent got a clue either!

11. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I needed a laugh and that certainly got one, well flippin loads actually :)
    It is indeed scary that they spew so much BS, i'd prefer them to not say anything when talking about a product :D

12. steve tyler

steve tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    you pay peanuts you get monkeys!!!!!!!

13. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hahaha

And people wonder why I travel 16 miles to get to an HIFI shop instead of the 1 mile to Dixons.

I once asked them for a demo of an amp and they said come back tommorow morning and we'll have it all set up. I went back and they had somehow managed to blow a full row of stuff, needless to say I never got my demo and then found a decent shop with assistant's who knew what they were doing.

I'm still very new to this game and learning all the time, thank god I found that shop and this forum or **** knows what state I'd be in.:D :D :D :D