Dixons / currys - best 46" set for £800 (ish)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by leeb-1977, Feb 10, 2009.

1. leeb-1977

leeb-1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    firstly - some of the more rainman like members ( ;) ) may have noticed that this is my second thread in as many weeks regarding 'which tv to choose'.... for that im sorry, and im in no way disregarding what the people who answered my previous thread said.

However.... the rules have changed. After going to currys and asking for the Sammy LE40686 and finding non in stock i had a walk around and looked at the other sets there... and ive decided that 46" is the way to go.

Unfortunatley this means i cant go for the 686 in the Samsung as its out of my price range in the size im after :(

For those of you who did not read / have forgot my last thread - my old Samsung 40" LCD has died through a drunken tumble over christmas. Luckily the house insurance have paid up for a new set and have given me £800 - the catch is that i can only spend the money at Currys (including currys digital), Dixons and PC World.

Im going for LCD over plasma at the moment (although im not dead set against plasma) because of the viewing habits of my family - ie: the TV will be on (possibly the same channel) for upto about 18 hours per day - 7 days a week.

Heavy gaming periods are guaranteed too.

The inputs ill be using are Virgin Media HD V+ Box, Xbox 360 and PS3 (mainly for Bluray)... all via my Sony AV receiver (so one hdmi lead to the tv).

tv has to have the following

Headphone Socket
    1080p Full HD
    24FPS
    100Hz would be nice too - but isnt essential.

apart from that its an open playing field.

Any ideas on the best TV for approx £800 is??

Whats your thoughts on the Samsung 5 series 46" LCDs? in particular the LE46A556? Is it THAT much worse than the 686?

My viewing habits are Kids TV (!), Sports, Gaming and movies - as well as the wifes soaps!

Thanks all. Purchase imminent (tonight if i can).

2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Your going to struggle getting a 46" for under £800... only 2 real options a sharp lc46d65e and le46a556... the 556 judders like crazy with 24p content im not sure how the lc46d65e is for PQ.... in general id say LCD struggles at this size.... and both televisions are going to look real ropey if your watching SD content due to them both being 1080p.....

3. leeb-1977

leeb-1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    so.... what plasmas are there in my range? I know theres the Panny TH46PZ8B - whats that like? And how will it stand upto long gaming sessions? m also worried about burn in and IR on things like channel logos etc after prolonged periods of time.

EDIT: Scratch that - the panny isnt in stock anywhere.

ok.... perhaps id consider the drop to 42"..... if i REALLY have to (although i was hoping for the 46" :( )

SECOND EDIT: I should point out that my V+ box upscales SD images to 1080i, so the image quality of SD isnt that important to me - infact .... it isnt important at all - as for me personally - unless theres a footy match or Topgear on i watch 95% HD stuff (as in movies and gaming).

1080p is a must though - as i watch a good deal of bluray and want compatibility with future gaming consoles (all of which will be 1080p Native in the next generation).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I program games for a living and even I don't know if the next gen consoles will be native 1080p! We can hope but anything is a possibility.

Current gen games certainly are not 1080p in the majority... If SD doesn't matter than a 1080p LCD should be fine.

The sharp is not so bad... ive heard good things about it... maybe go have a look in the flesh?

5. leeb-1977

leeb-1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    well - the games thing..... im making an assumption, but you would have expected the next gen to be 1080p native - i mean, its obviously a few years off yet and im assuming they will all be 1080p by then.

Anyway - bought the new tv last night - in the end though i decided to go for quality over size and went with the 40" Sammy LEA656A.

Got to say im happy that i did.... ive not calibrated it yet - and im going to have to read up on how to do this, but on the standard settings its a massive jump over my previous sammy. Very happy.

Some slight discolouration in the top right and left hand corners though while viewing a black screen (light patches coming from the corner - only very slight).... i assume thats what people mean when they say back light bleed.

Again - its only slight though - so i may live with it.

just got to trudge my way through the massive thread now and have a read up on the best settings etc! :)