• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Divx

RSVdaz

Banned
someone told me you can get divx working on the ps3 by copying the divx file onto the ps3 harddrive rather than watching it on the dvd disc.
I have tried this..and when you press the triangle it does have the play /play from beginning option but when you do press play it comes up with unsuported dated error.

anyone overcome this?

Tony Hoyle

Nope... you need to transcode it into something that the ps3 can read first.

dekoded

Or transcode on the fly by streaming it from a PC using Tversity or similar.

That's what I do and it works fine.

It also means that I don't fill up my PS3 HDD!

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
You could always install Linux, that will playback Divx and XviD files.

Widge

I've tried this with Tversity with .avi's but no luck. Is there a certain setting or something?

YOU!

Try downloading something that I've seen in here called the CCCP codec pack. And there is something called Insurgient which also removes all your existing codecs.

Apparently TVersity doesn't like pre-existing codecs so if you clean them out and then stick in CCCP, it should be fine.

Also, there is a "What Media Server Do You Use?" thread in here. Page 3 has a link to a TVersity setup guide.

tk421

Banned
I used Red Kawa to recode avi files to Mpeg-4 files that the PS3 can read. I then use the Red Kawa file server program on my PC to send the files across. Abit long winded but works fine.

http://www.redkawa.com/

oska

I used Red Kawa to recode avi files to Mpeg-4 files that the PS3 can read. I then use the Red Kawa file server program on my PC to send the files across. Abit long winded but works fine.

http://www.redkawa.com/

Yes, got that and it does a good job but I find the screen size small so when played back on PS3 it is pixelated. I've tried to find settings in there but gave up.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
can anyone tell me if linux will playback divx from a disc rather than streaming them?
:lease:

In Linux you can either watch Divx/XviD files direct from the DVD or you can copy them to your HDD.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom