1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX/XviD-HD converted from MPEG2-TS

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by scumball, Jun 25, 2005.

1. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'm in the middle of converting an MPEG2 transport stream to (1920x1080i) to XviD 4mb/s 1280x720 with AC3. It is sloooow going at 2fps on my 2.4Ghz P4, so has anyone done anything similar for playback on an XBox with XBMC? Did it work and what sort of encoding speeds did you get?

I got inspiration after downloading the DivX-HD (4mb/s 1280x720 192kb/s CBR MP3 audio) trailer for Madagascar which played back (only dopping 50 frames throughout) and looked great compared to normal upsampled DivX/XviD.

2. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been doing the same thing, to re-encode about 40 minutes of 1080i MPEG2 TS to XviD took 11 hours with 2 pass encoding. Looks great on the XBOX though, drops a few frames here and there, but it's definitely watchable.

Think I'll be investing in an HTPC soon though...

James.

3. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Better thanb a HTPC look here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222494

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    James what spec is your PC and what are the exact specs of your new XviDs that play okay.

Source was a 1920x1080i 29.97fps episode of CSI. Re-encoded using DGIndex to create d2v file and then loading into VirtualDubMod via an avs script (AVI Synth 2.5) I've got mine to AC3 5.1 audio (MP3 seems to fault playback a lot more - so why bother), 1280x720 @ 23.967 fps (deinterlaced and inverse telecine using Decomb filter from AVI Synth) no B-frames, no GMC, no 1/4 pixel. 1 pass fixed bitrate 4mb/s, using the didees 6of9 custom MPEG matrix. Ultra High motion search, VHQ mode 1, 240 max I-frame. This one episde I've tried runs with 0 (zero!!) dropped frames.

On the XBox (XBMC - June 17th build) I've turned all Post Processing OFF and knocked the Render Method down a notch to Hardware overlays (this helps quite a lot). I am using Smoothed AV sync - but I'm not sure I can see a difference.

I'm going to try some higher bitrates and will let you know if you're interested. I'm pretty impressed so far what you can get out of this 733mhz...

5. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just used AutoGK to do the conversion on a 1.8GHz Centrino machine. The only parameters I set were the final file size at about 1.5GB and the width to 1280, the rest it did itself.

James.