1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx, Xvid File share. How to transfer and play onto DVD player. Help needed please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisjoanne, Mar 7, 2005.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I'm sure this question would have been asked but I just can't find it anywhere. I've also searched via google and I've come up with one or two programs but would like some advise from the guys at AVforums.

I'm using emule to file share. I've had no problems at all with viewing the films and programs via Real Player or Windows Media Player.

I may be wrong (as I'm new to file sharing) but I believe the programs are downloaded as Divx (Mpeg4 ?) files or Xvid files. I did not realise but I now understand the files need to be changed to play in a "normal" DVD player.

A downloaded files comes downloaded like this:
    The.name.of.file.XviD-TerrorVideo.cd1.SVCDPlaza.avi

I searched google and come up with a Divx to DVD converter. I think the program is called "DivXToDvd".

This will convert the file but I still can not copy and view via my DVD player.
    I used a +R DVD disc and wondered if this was the problem. My DVD writer is a Sony which records + and - .

I have also downloaded DVD Decrpyter which I think will copy any DVD - which I don't think is correct as I think I need a convertion software program.

I may just purchase a Divx player - Yamada, for £50 and there may be a lot less hassle, but I would still appreciate your views.

Cheers
    Chris

By the way, I'm not copying illegally. The files I'm downloading are programs in America such as The Simpsons and 24. I'm therefore viewing them much quicker than waiting until they are on Sky. :)

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you want to play DivX or XviD content which has no copyright issues, then I recommend a dedicated player. Yamada 6600 is pretty good.

3. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Please close this post before Pooch sees it LOL

4. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It may well be that lawyers would have a different interpretation that you are not doing anything illegal.

The vast majority of television transmission broadcasts have copyright.