1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx v DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt Rage, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Matt Rage

Matt Rage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am in the process of buying a complete new set up. At the moment I thinking:

Yamaha 650 amp
    MS Avant Premier Plus speakers
    Infocus 4805 projector

I'm now looking for a DVD player to accompany these. The problem is most of the stuff I watch is Xvid based. Currently I use a DK Digital 915, but it seems a bit soft to spend a huge wad on all this kit, and then only £50 on a Divx player.

The only other options I could see were either:
    a) buy a decent DVD player and convert my Divx stuff to DVD (big pain!!) - and would I get much benefit anyway?
    b) buy a decent DVD player and try and piggy back the 915 onto it - but again I can't see me getting much benefit.

I spoke to a guy in my local shop today, and he said that the new Onkyo DVD-Sp402 supports Divx - anyone know how good it is at it?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The problem with Divx is that although it is capable of giving very high quality pictures, in most cases the compression is set very high to give small file sizes which means poor video quality. Once the video has been highly compressed and the quality lost you can't get it back. Therefore no matter how much money you spend on a DVD player it wont give great results from highly compressed video.

Perhaps its time to bite the bullet and actually buy some origional DVD's :devil: . Along with a half decent player I think you will notice how much better the quality is, especially displayed with a PJ.

Mark.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    You could always think about getting a HTPC. You could then watch WMV HD, Divx HD and when Blue ray and HD-dvd comes out all you need to do is buy a mutli drive that will play both HD formats. :)

4. DennisT

DennisT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are encoding your own stuff (DivX or XviD) make the files 1.4gig in size. You will then have excellent quality, and can normally retain the AC3, 5.1 Sound track. I do this and quality is Brilliant !!

You may want to hang on a while, the very latest DivX players are being made to handle GMC and Q-Pel + consecutive B-Frames. This will give a big quality increase. None on the market yet.... but should not be too long :)

Keep an eye out on DivX.com for info.

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    "a) buy a decent DVD player and convert my Divx stuff to DVD (big pain!!) - and would I get much benefit anyway?"
    >Nope, waste of time. You can't pull extra quality out of the file that doesn't exist. Also as you said it takes a long time, total hassle.

Some players currently available already do GMC and Q-Pel fyi.

IMO stick with the DK-Digital, it works well I guess for you so why change it. Then in a years time when the cheap dvd/divx players have moved on and do more upgrade the player only...maybe.

6. Matt Rage

Matt Rage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If only it were that simple!!

I'll primarily be using the projector for watch mixed martial arts (no holds barred fighting for the uninitiated - UFC and Pride etc). Problem is that its only available on TV in the US (although Bravo have just started showing UFC in the UK), and the DVD's don't tend to come out until at least 8-10 months after the show - kinda difficult to avoid the results for that long....

I do however buy the retail DVDs when they come out..

7. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    FYI the Onkyo DVD-Sp402 seems to be another mediatek based player.

8. Matt Rage

Matt Rage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which means what sorry? That its similar inside to my DK Digital?

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    That its the same generation of chip inside doing the work as :

Pioneer 470/575/578
    Targa DP-5100x
    LG Divx players
    Yamada Divx players
    DK-Digital divx players
    To name a few.....it might have nice menus and better overall build quality but its more or less the same thing just badged Onkyo. Keep your 915 imo.

10. Matt Rage

Matt Rage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help.

I take it I would get a better DVD picture with the Onkyo though?

11. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    It would be marginal how much it would be better. I have access to a Targa, Kiss and Pioneer. The picture quality of the two mediateks are identical. One cost £49 (Targa) then Pioneer over £100. If you look inside the two boxes you get a circuit board with a plug output module with rear connections. Where the Pioneer is over £50 better...it isn't, your paying for the brand imo. Yamada / DK digital are cheap and chearful, maybe not as well built as big brands. However I'd buy one of them personally as the offer more fuctionality usually. If it breaks, buy another and still have spent less than a big brand.