divx problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zenman41, Jun 13, 2008.

1. zenman41

zenman41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pls can some1 help.i have a sony dvp ns36 player that is divx compatable,but for some reason wont play the files.

2. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    You need to establish what divx profile your player is compatible with (Probably Home Theatre Profile).
    Then ensure the divx file you are trying to play is compliant with said profile.
    There are many many possibilities and unfortunately cant really be narrowed down without knowing more about the file you are trying to play.
    -
    Also, check you are burning the discs with the correct file structure.

3. gixxerman

gixxerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I used to have a Divx capable Toshiba DVD player (IIRC it was the sd 340e model).

It was great when it worked ok but infuriating when it messed around.
    It could be very picky about which media it would play and it also had a problem with 'packed bitstreams'.

I would imagine your Sony might be similar.

I'd be very surprised if it is the version type of Divx/Xvid file
    (unless it's say something like the very latest version 6.8, but I doubt that these are very common Divx files anyways, can't say as I've ever noticed it being an issue)

Try to work out if it is the brand/type of media it doesn't like or if the Divx/Xvid files are 'packed bitstreams'.

You can check using 'Gspot'
    (free software which analyses the file & tells you which codecs it uses for the audio & visual and whether the bitstream is packed or not).

If the problem is a packed bitstream the answer is easy & takes just a few moments.
    You need to 'unpack' the bitstream.
    Fortunately there is a nice easy to use piece of freeware for this.
    You'll need 'mpegmodifier' (it seems to be called MPEG4Modifier now).

Alternately if you felt like it you could just switch to a different DVD player which won't give you any hassle.

Personally I find my Pioneer DV696 will play anything & doesn't care about media or packed bitstreams.
    I'd bet the newer DV400/600/610 are exactly the same.