DivX playback problem

• Thread starter nousernamesleft
  • Start date
N

nousernamesleft

Hi, I've been a lurker for a while and found some pretty decent advice, so I thought I'd join up and try and get help with this problem I'm having.

I recently bought myself a Pixelview NVIDIA 6600 GT. I did a complete windows reinstall at the same time, just to have a clean start.

So yesterday I noticed that I'm having MAJOR problems watching DivX files (and possibly Xvid and others too). I load up the movie/file and my computer goes mental - the cpu gets swallowed up, I don't see any picture, I don't hear any sound, and everything freezes, basically.

I've tried in WMP, Real Alternative, and even Video LAN - all fail to play these movies back. I've used Gspot, and it says the files are fine, and I also have a redundancy of different codecs to view them with, so I don't think it's a codec problem (especially since Video LAN won't play them either - although in that case, it does play the odd snippet of sound, but the cpu still goes for a wander). However, I can watch uncompressed avi files (such as those I've captured myself using Fraps) absolutely no problem.

I'm starting to think it's a problem with my gfx card (please god don't let it be that)... maybe my 6600 GT doesn't like compressed files? I had up to date drivers, and now I've rolled back to the manufacturer's drivers, and no difference.

This is seriously crippling me. Any advice would be appreciated - I could do a Windows repair, but would it be worth it? A complete re-install of Windows would be the final option (since I've just got everything installed again). Windows update is fairly up to date ;)

Please please please don't say it's my vid card.

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think it's your video card, I think your codecs are corrupted. If you have installed a plethora of different codecs it is difficult to start again, as they can all interfere with each other. I would advise a clean install and then just install ONE thing to decode your divx files... I always used to like the latest xvid build to decode all my divx / xvid files, but now I use the latest build of ffdshow. How is your DVD playback?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really watch DVDs on my comp, but I'll get Cyberlink installed and give it a go in a little while.

I'll try uninstalling all my codecs too, and then just reinstalling the one. Thing is though, I always used to have these codecs installed, and it always worked (in previous Windows installations and with my old Radeon 9000 Pro).

I'll get back with results :smashin:

Cheers for replying.

EDIT - Nope. Crash City... population: me. Neither of these things has helped, unfortunately. I'm gonna do a windows repair.

Hmmm, more likely to be a driver problem than a hardware problem, maybe you need to get a driver cleaner to make sure the old ATI drivers are completely gone, and make sure you are using the latest nvidia drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I've found the cause (I think). If I turn off Hardware Acceleration in Desktop... properties... settings... advanced, then the movies play fine.

But, I gather I don't want to do this, and it is likely an indication of a bigger problem. SO, anyone know what I can do to find out where the trouble lies?

PS - I've tried different driver versions, etc. They all have problems. It really shouldn't be a driver mixup with the ATI ones, because I reinstalled windows.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom