Divx playback on Sony RDRHXD870

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by unclethommy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. unclethommy

unclethommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Having received my RDRHXD870 for xmas, I was delighted with all its functionality. It does everything I need and even plays DivX which was a bonus for me. However, I had a problem yesterday playing an Xvid .avi. The Sony basically says it can't play the film/format. It's played most of my DivX's before and I am wondering why it is complaining about this one... The properties for the film are:

Codec 4CC: XVID
    Image size: 640*288
    Aspect ratio 1:1
    Frame rate: 23.976 fps

Global Motion compensation: yes
    Packed bitstream: No
    Quarter pixel: yes

Audio codec: Mp3
    Channels: Stereo
    Bitrate: 15838Bps / 126 kbps
    Variable bitrate: yes
    Freq: 48000Hz

I was wondering if there was anything wrong with these settings which which stop the player playing it. I can play it on my computer fine... Also, I have other videos which are xvid and play fine on the Sony....

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    if the file doesnt conform to the correct standard as programmed into the box , then it wont work in the sony

page 155 tells you this on the lower left hand side , as does page 161

there are many codecs and file formats for divx and avi files which is why the pc can play them , so the manual tells you what they must conform to in order for sony playback

ie:- it wont play all of them , all of the time , the sony can only playback the standards programmed into it