1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX on plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Skiny, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how an average 700mb DivX movie would come out on a plasma display, when run from a PC?

Thanks

Skiny

2. renmar

renmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I will try this weekend (I hope to get my Viera today :->). I will use rather my DVD/DVIX player (thru Scart RGB only however) but maybe I will also try my laptop. Remember that DIVX=other DIVX (bits rate etc.) so I will choose the best one to do this test.

3. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched Collateral straight off the hard drive onto my Viera last night. It was an AVI file at it looked excellent.

Originally I fed it with s-video, but it was a little blocky. I'm now running a 15m VGA cable, which I pull round from behind and plug in the front when I want to watch something off the PC.

I also bought a Divivo Bluetooth keyboard set. It comes with a fantastic standalone calculator pad/media controller. You can thumbnail all your movies from the comfort of the couch.

One thing I did notice (without stating the obvious!). The picture was SO much better than burning them onto DVD. I tested Hellboy, one off the harddrive and the other placed onto DVD, and the uncommpressed file didn't just win, it thrashed it.

Playing off the hard drive is the way to go. Just because you don't need to get a divx, SVCD or DVD encoded.

4. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Source is the key!

Normally if you have a dvd ripped to divx this is very good for the size of the file. I have Animatrix encoded which on a CD rom looks supurb. Although a little jerky at times.

Is Collateral out yet? A divx of a camcordered film or screener obviously looks crap even if it is watchable. :smashin:

5. renmar

renmar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried with PC connected do DB15(VGA) port and with DVD/DIVX player (RGB through a good Scart cable). It was really cool, especially with DVD/DIVX. I have Viera and the its Zoom options can also help you to find the best fit for your specific movie. Of course the compression quality is the key to have great PQ - do not even start with something what looks bad on PC! I have used also subtitles and everything worked OK!

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Si133,
    I watched Collateral straight off the hard drive onto my Viera last night. It was an AVI file at it looked excellent.

Hey man, where do you get your movies from?

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    Note : We don't condone the downloading of pirated movies on the AV Forums.
    Please refrain from promoting it by publically publishing download sites or methods.
    Thanks