divx on cd-r.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jayr6666, Mar 9, 2006.

1. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hello,
    anybody help please?i recently a divx movie[698mb]onto a cd-r and tried to play it on my activated samsung hd950 but no joy.the disc was finalised so there shouldn't of been a problem.can you only burn divx files onto dvd discs?
    yours in desperation,jay.

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    You can put divx on cd-r but it all depends on the playback capability of the dvd player as to whether it can read it or not.

I take it the disc plays OK on a PC?

D.

3. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    cheers.yes the disc plays on pc.my dvd player is divx[mpeg4]capable and its been activated.i'm very confused about this.jay.

4. JorisS

JorisS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Have you tried with other divX movies?

What does the 'activated' mean? And how old is the dvd player? Most recent DivX movies are XviD coded, if the dvd player doesn't support that you're screwed I guess. Perhaps updating the BIOS of the dvd player will prove helpful, but before going into such steps try with some other divX content first. 698Mb IS on the edge of a discs capacity and might therefore cause problems, if the finalizing isn't somehow compatible with non-pc dvd readers.

Keep us posted!

5. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    cheers.dvd player is only a month oldand it plays everything but toast.I did get the movie from p2p so i'm starting to question whether the file is actually divx file.to answer your question on'activation',all recent dvd players which play divx[mpeg4]files have an activation code which you have to register at divx.com/vod .they then present a file for you to burn to disc and play it in your dvd which activates the player.probably just a con to get you to buy or rent divx films.i'll let you know how i get on.cheers.jay.

6. JorisS

JorisS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It might be the size of the file. If it does play on the comp and has .avi extension, you can be fairly certain it's a divX.

I've had problems on my KiSS dvd player with certain HDTV divX content though, perhaps it's something like that?

Otherwise I suspect the 'overburning' to be a problem for the dvd player. If it's only with this 1 movie I'd not worry too much about it though. If your dvd player takes RW's I recommend getting some DVD-RW discs for special occasions like this.

Cheers,
    Joris

7. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    thanks,joris.I'll let you know how i get on.Only thing is that i dont have dvd writer on comp[i know,sacrilidge{spelling}]so am limited to cd-r or cd-rw at the moment.have threads posted on divx forums and will advise on progress.cheers.jay.

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    its probably the codec. try putting the file on a dvdr and see if it plays

i have the 960 and it plays divx and xvid, but it has problems with some files as it only accepts certain codecs

download gspot from www.dvdrhelp.com and you can also read more about divx there, that will tell you the type of file it is, and you can check with the manual to see if the player supports it