1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX movies / About to buy DD/DTS/DPL2 Amp + 5.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jrwood, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I currently rip all my DVD's to very high quality DivX, which take up about 3 gigs per movie. Anyway I suddenly realised that if I buy a DD/DTS/DPL2 Amp (Denon probably) and 5.1 speakers then would I get the surround sound from the DivX or will I have to revert back to my DVD's in order to enjoy my new upgrade?.

I don't want to have wasted money especially on such a large harddisk aswell.

James

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The whole idea of divx is to compress a large movie file (DVD) to a smaller one (VCD) The fact that the average DVD is approx 3.5 - 4.5GB raw and using Divx mpeg4 compression you can goto 1.4Gb (2 VCD) and even as low as 700Mb - What is the point of a 3Gb Divx clip?

Anyways, in answer to your question Divx uses Mpeg4 video compression and MP3 audio compression as default. The DD/DTS stream can be kept - but depends of software/method used for ripping.

As a side note: 120Gb HDD can be had for approx 200 squid

Thats 40 of your high quality movies not a bad movie jukebox :)

..... now theres a thought ummmmmm:D

3. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use godian knot, see www.doom9.org.

i use 2 cds for each movie, and always keep the DD 5.1 sound track to out put through the soundcard to my amp. i have had no problems doing this.

the only one ive had bother with was the lord of the rings.

DD 5.1 when mixed into stereo will still work in pro logic as far as i can tell.

edd

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the information, I have actually recently been reducing the size of the rips to about 2 gigs which seem to be the best size/quality. I did'nt realise zoomplayer could play the vob files before I converted them, I think I will just stick to vob in future cheers. I use zoomplayer due to the fact you can move the picture up and down easily..unlike DVD software :(.

Thanks for the replies, cant wait for DD/DTS/DPL2 :) - 80 watts of 2 channel audio is good....but I want surround :!