1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX HD on Pio 434?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jwramsay, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I see that there is a High Def version of DIVX that apparently plays on a modded XBOX using XMBC.

I am going to dowload the avi's from the site and try this out on my Pioneer 434 Plasma tonight (I have it set to NTSC and have the Hi-Def component kit).

Has anyone seen and DIVX HD in action yet.

http://www.divx.com/hd/

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    ive only seen HD film trilers in divx hd. am i gota say .wmv HD sorces are better from what i have seen

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Downloaded Madagascar, burnt to a DVD+RW as a DVD-ROM(ISO).

I have installed the Slayers EVOX v2.6 on my chipped XBOX, which includes the Enigmah application, XBMC, XBMP, etc. My XBOX is connected to INPUT3 of the Pioneer 434's Media Receiver box via a MADCOW Hi-Def kit and component leads.

Set XBOX to NTSC using the Enigmah Video switcher.
    Set 480p, 720p, 1080i to YES on the MS-Dash.
    Started XBMC, ensured that it upsamples to GUI resolution.

I double click on madagascar.avi and up it comes in all it's glory. Great picture quality and smashing DD5.1 sound. Pioneer reports that its being fed 525p, which surprised me, I was expecting the resolution to be higher.

Now downloading the other clips and going to reburn the DVD+RW to see if any of them have higher resolutions.

Possibly I have not setup XBMC right, or the version in Slayers 2.6 is too old for upsampling to 720p.

Anyone know?

p.s. Also tried this disc on my WH Smiths Skyworth DVD/DIVX player. It played the sound OK but the picture just stayed at the directory structure of the disc.

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    OK, downloaded all 5 of the clips, unrarred them and burnt them to the DVD+RW.

All played at 480p (PIO reports 525P)

Then, unchecked the box on XBMC->Settings->My Videos which said "scale to GUI resolution"

Tried again and all of the clips play at 720p (PIO reports 750P)

The Madcow is crap though and shows reflections of text. Can't wait on DVDBOXOFFICE eventually despatching the Official MS HiDef Kit!!

5. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    on my pio434 i have set it up with the dv868 hdmi connection to play dvd's at 720p (reports 750p i think?) I know this is upscaling!
    if you search the site there is the calibration settings to get this set-up with the pro setting on the screen. I might have them somewhere if you can't find them.
    not sure how much this would be different from xbox hd divx, i'm going to try it on my xbox (soft mod with evo) be interesting to compare the two.

6. superjim

superjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chillo, How did you find the difference between xbox and 868avi?