Divx dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peresh, Aug 19, 2005.

1. peresh

peresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I need YOUR advice on which divx dvd player to buy. Im after a low price, cheaper the better (under £60) player that does divx xvid multiregion mp3s etc.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Ive looked at the following as options:

Yamada DVD-6700 OR Yamada DVD-MX105
    DK Digital DVD-500 OR DK digital DK 339
    Umax /Chili MX205 DivX DVD Player (not released yet)
    Tosh SD 340E
    TOKAI DVD/DivX DVX-610 Player
    H & B DX-3255 DVD Mpeg4 Player

Anyone own one of these? Any comments?
    Whats the difference between the 2 yamada's and also the 2 DK digitals?

Thanks for the advice

Peresh

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,507
  3. peresh

peresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, thats a useful link.

does anyone have any comments on the DK digitals, yamadas or tokai models

All help is really appreciated.

Peresh

4. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have a Targa DP-5100x and am happy with it, I just got myself a 1GB flash memory card and am waiting for a reader/writer for my PC to test it on the Targa. It has two memory card reader slots for SMC,CFC,MD,SD,MMC,MS & MS-Pro flash memory cards. I posted a phone number for Targa Germany in that thread if you wanted to order one. It is available on eBay as well. Otherwise there is an LG model which is available from Pixmania that is believed to be identical although slightly higher priced.
    Some play DivX and XDiv but don't play them well if they have packed bitstream (which a large number of files come in now). The Targa plays them fine [​IMG]
    That is unless you mess around stripping the packed bitstream, but with the Targa (and yamada 6700) you don't need to.

5. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my wife recently purchased a yamada 8400x from maplin which is supposed to play divx etc have not tried divx yet, it is multi-region have played reg 1, 2, 3, on it its slighty above your price it cost £89.99 the thing is it records as well and the results from the discs she has recorded seem pretty good she chose it for the dv-input so we transfer our mini-dv onto dvds

6. terryshep

terryshep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    pioneer 380 cant go wrong with that and only £60 :)

7. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Targa is £40 and the yamada costs around that too but the Targa is better built [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    FYI Targa is a rebranded LG but LG UK don't sell divx players. However Pixmania.com sell LG europe models :)

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/pioneer_dv_585a.shtml

£41, better built that the Yamada, not as fussy over media as DK-Digital better divx / xvid + subs support that the Pioneers. No brainer imo.... :)

Plus you can update the firmware with official or hacked firmware which add features.

9. peresh

peresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info guys its really helpful for a relative newbie like me.

I'm gonna have to admit i took the plunge and bought a umax/yamada chili mx205 which has progressive scan and usb connection. Havent tried much on it but gotta admit im already dissapointed.
    The unit has a power on/off switch on the face and you can them turn it on and off standby via the remote. The only thing is if you switch it off via the remote the t.v. stays on the scart channel anf you cant even switch this by the t.v. remote. you have to physically get up and switch it off on the unit. Really, really annoying.

Havent found any info/firmware online about how to stop this so think i'm gonna take it back this week.

Have you guys heard much about the MX205? what do you think about it?

Think im gonna go for the pioneer 585 or the targa 5100x any views on which is better?

thanks

gig :thumbsup:

10. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The Yamada is a good cheap unit (key words 'cheap'). The build quality of the Targa / LG and Pioneer IMO are much better.

Pioneer DV-380 is approx £60
    Pioneer DV-585 is approx £100
    Targa, you can only buy them via ebay now at various prices
    LG DV-8931H is approx £41
    (http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/104173/art/lg/dv-8931h-dvd-divx-player.html)

The Targa is a rebadged LG unit. The LG above can be updated with the latest generic LG firmware and offers all the same features exc the memory card slots.

Depending on your budget I'd go for one of those above brand new with 12 month warrenty.

11. peresh

peresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys, i think you're selling me on the LG/targa. Is it worth paying the bit extra and gettig the targa with the card reader. Not sure how much i'll use it now but u never know, it might come in handy in future. Im leaning towrd the LG mainly because it'll be easier to get hold of and the targa is only availible in black on ebay. would have to get it direct from targa sales and not sure how easy this is.

definately sending back the umax/chili, its doing my head in. cant believe i bought it after doing so much into other players.

Thanks guys

ps- this problem with not being able to switch away from scart. is it a common problem?

12. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    The Targa is good but its not available brand new at the moment. Thus if it were me i'd get the LG one from pixmania...at the moment. The memcard reader is ok, not really used it to be honest.

Pioneer would be my 2nd choice, the 380 looks a tidy deal. Like the old 470 / 575 I got my parents the 470 which is excellent imo.

13. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I think you can only get the silver on eBay now, the last time I look it was only silver anyway. I prefer black so this would be a problem if I ever wanted another.
    You can order direct from Targa, you could get either colour that way and have the three year guarantee on it too. I did put the phone number that was given to me by Targa tech support for ordering. It is in Germany so you would have to pay for European delivery but that shouldn't be too much, would probably still be in budget, especially taking into account the Euro exchange rate. I even provided a low cost phone calls system to make phoning Germany cheap too, would cost less than phoning the UK ;) Hope your happy with whatever you get.

14. peresh

peresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help. appreciate your advice guys. will let you know the final decision and what i think of the product when it arrives.

peresh

ps- the only place i can find on ebay selling the targa shows a pic of it in silver but has small print saying its only available in black! cheeky

15. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm sure it was silver and not black. They always did only show a picture of the silver version but did state the colour.
    He's a nice bloke (Ray), I had to return a faulty player and the Royal Mail lost it. He still sent me a replacement even though he only had my word that I had sent it. I phoned him earlier about some proof of purchase (I don't have a printer) so I can claim for the player the Royal snail lost. [​IMG]

16. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I just looked and it looks like he has stopped selling the players now. The ones he has are only the DVD recorders but he does have both colours (dark grey (anthracite) or silver) of those. The only place to get the DVD players is by phoning Targa sales in Germany (they do speak English). If you look in the other thread you will see the good phone call prices, I use it for all my calls now (except for a couple that allows me to keep the free caller display from BT (BT's privacy thingy). Worth checking that thread just for that, zero pence per minute 24hrs a day and only 2p connection, no cost to join either, no monthly fee. I love [​IMG] bargains.

17. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It just depends on whether you want a one (LG) or three (Targa) year guarantee.

18. batman1056

batman1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am after a new DIVX player that has Xvid and Qpel and if possible Ogg support (or is it orm) any way I have had a look around and can not find any of these fabled Targa Divx players Anywhere. So I did some search for the LE 8900 (I think thats the model) Well I found some but It does not say out about doing Xvids and Divx.. any body give me a Big Nudge and tell me what the best one to get (under £70) I was thinking about Umax 6700 as I have a DK339 (poor playback) and Umax 6100 (blocky divx as no recent firemware) but in the past the Umax has always played great with superb quality - but I have heard that the 6700 has major firmware probs. -- so can any one help?

19. batman1056

batman1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When and where can I get the Targa from?If I can not get this one . which ones is best Pioneer (which model 380??) or Umax 6700.

I presum both do Qpel,Ac3,Xvid and Divx

20. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ogg not Orm. LG 8900P not LE 8900. Umax, search this forum various postings about disappointing build quality. Targa, ebay or Tagra direct. Seach form as me and MrFantastic have posted the information many times. Any Pioneer will be a better built machine that the Umax 6700 imo All will do Divx, Xvids though only the LG / Targa / Umax can do packed bitstream if you update the firmware. Ac3, all will do this. Qpel, the players only do certain levels of QPEL, no player is perfect play everything than a PC can.

21. batman1056

batman1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks will look for Tagra from their main site - If not I'll go for the Pioneer
    Cheers

22. Bussta

Bussta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't over look the DKDigital 339, I got this player, but am giving it to my parents as a second DVD for them.

It plays everything that you can chuck at it and is only £40, seriously, Mpegs, avi's e.c.t it will play the lot. there are loads of settings to play with aswell. Overall a bargin for the price - looks nicer than a lot of expensive models aswell - Black & Silver

23. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Agree with Bustta I have the DK 339 and it's bloody brilliant.

The firmware must be really good as it does play everything I throw at it too including Xvid. The pickup is excellent too, I have a relatively old Toshiba that chunters away reading the disc and then plays, the DK is almost instant with it's format recognition.

I have not tested out and out picture quality yet as all I have watched is 24 Season 1 Divx which is watchable but heavily compressed. I will need to try it will a decent disc to see outright performance.

Can't recommend it enough.

24. batman1056

batman1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I already have teh Dk339 and honestly the quality of playback is nowt compaired to my other players PLUS and this is a big PLUS, 80% of the avi movies I play back jidder, they look like frames are missing, BUt when I try the exact same CD and ciopy in my old 6100 - great crisp quality... :suicide:

25. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I believe that the Targa is only available direct from Targa Germany now as I could not see it on eBay, there is the DVD recorder but not just the DVD player. I did post a phone number for Targa Germany on a big previous thread and a site that gives low cost calls (cheaper than UK call charges to Germany). They speak English so it might be worth phoning and finding out what the total cost is including delivery. This way you could get the colour that you want (silver or anthracite - actually dark grey (very close to black)) This way you would get the three year warranty. If you phone up post how much the cost is so everyone knows.

26. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
  27. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Check what the file type is. You will probably find that the file is a packed bitstream XDiv file. If you test the files using Gspot (2.52b or newer) or Mpeg4Modifier they will tell you whether they are or not. Then you will know what the problem is, the player cannot handle PB files. Most players cannot. Pioneers are not qualified to handle XDiv files (the commonest avi file format), Pioneer does not support it even though some files will play.

28. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
  29. batman1056

batman1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just Called Tagra - Non in stock for at least 3 monhts:( might just but 6700 instead.. did somebody say there was an LG version that did the same?

30. batman1056

batman1056
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just had a look at the LG player - looks nice - same price as the teh Umax - do both do Progressive scanning, OGM, Qpel, Xvid?

I heardm both play a little jerky sometimes - is this a firmware problem...
    Ask the ex[perts question:- so whcih is best? - LG or Umax and why