DivX dvd player recommendations please

S

ScoobyWR1

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a DivX compatible dvd player with progressive scan capabilities. I am looking at the lower end of the market (£150 max. as a second player!) and would like multiregion capabilities. (Not asking for much I know! LOL!) Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi Scooby,

The Pioneer 575 is a popular choice around here. It plays just about anything you can throw at it: DVD, VCD, SCVD, XVCD (I think), DivX and MP3 and WMA files too. It has progressive scan output via component too and can be found multi-region for between £120 and £160. I'm sure I won't be the last to recommend this one too!

Cheers,

Colin

I had my eye on the Kiss DV-1000 or the Umax Yamada 6600. I know that theyr'e probably looked upon as cheap and nasty but I was wondering if anyone had any view on them.

Personally I would try and get the 575.For the money it is meant to be great.

Avoid the Yamada......

I got a Kiss DP-1000 @ Christmas, its very good IMO. Plays almost anything and supports many subtitle formats with divx. It can't do GMC or QPEL but neither can any other players that are out. The ones based on the mediatek chipset can to a certain extent but its limited.

The Samsungs based on Zoran are meant to be good and support lots of formats (divx, xvid etc) but I've not found a good review as yet of mpeg4 tests.

The Pioneers are based on the newer MediaTek chip than in the Yamada. The 575 is meant to be good but no sub support on divx as yet. The DV470 is cheaper by Pioneer and only difference is no SuperAudioCD... which would not bother me. Or the Philips 720SA, same as Pioneer 575 but Philips update firmware and have sub support.

Or wait for one of the next generation players based on the new Sigma Design chipset that will be out before Xmas. The specs appear to be much higher than any of the above machines.

Thanks for the advice. I have narrowed it down to the one of the Pioneers and the Kiss DP-1000. Can I assume that the Pioneer will play almost any DivX movie file or is it a bit selective, also will it play xvid? I have heard that the Kiss will play anything you throw at it!?

Also, does the Pioneer 575A playback DivX files burned onto DVD-R/RW as it only says it plays them from CD-R/RW on the Pioneer website. Thanks in advance.

NX3 said:
Avoid the Yamada......

Why? I've got one, PQ's OK and it plays everything I've put in it, tempted to try a couple of beermats to test it out properly, will probably play them too! Cost me £50, and I'm happy enough with it.

Yamada isn't bad, don't get me wrong. Its a cheap entry level divx player. It use's a uncertifed Mediatek chip that can play divx and xvid. In comparion to the mediatek in the Pioneer / Toshiba / Philips its a older generation, a slightly lower spec. The chip in Pioneer / Toshiba / Philips is Divx certified.

Divx Certification does not mean it will play Xvid. Most player will of course but its not guarenteed.

I've only had one xvid not play on the DP1000. Its something to do with B-Frames in Xvid but most the current player have issues with this not just Kiss. Its a nice machine, works well, plays divx / xvids of DVD-Rs, RSs no problems. Kiss are better than Pioneer at updating firmware though if you search the the kiss forums on the net you can find plenty of people complaining about them.....as you can for any player includin Pioneer.

I read this am Philips have updated the firmware on the 720SA to fix the subtitles and a few other things. Its 95% the same as the Pioneer but 5% better as they update / fix / add new features unlike Pioneer.

I don't know if the Pioneer plays Divx of DVD-R etc but the manual misses out a log of info. E.g DVD+R and +RW do work though the manual doesn't tell you this. Also Divx with AC3 audio works, although the manual doesn't tell you thin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom