1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX 5.0 Final is out btw ;)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jrwood, Mar 4, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.divx.com/divx/

I`ll have to try re-encoding all my DVD's now to get even better quality out of my media jukebox!.

Here's the information anyway..

'First, the big news: DivX 5.0. DivX 5.0 will include a whole host of new features. The new encoding techniques combine to provide up to 20% file size improvements over 4.12 with equivalent visual quality. It is completely optimized for AMD processors. In fact, AMD engineers worked directly with us to optimize it, so AMD users should see speed ups of up to 20-25%. It decodes AND encodes MPEG-4 Simple Profile video. It can decode MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile video. The codec is also optimized and sped up across the board. On a modern processor, it is very possible to get double real time (50 fps) encoding rates, and Gej gets triple real time encoding rates on his dual Athlon XP2000+ box, so it can really smoke. Read all about the new feature of DivX 5.0, or just go download DivX 5.0 right now.'

'We are also introducing a professional version of DivX technology--the much rumored DivX Pro. We designed DivX Pro primarily for the professional and commercial users who license DivX. It has some very advanced features, including B-frames, global motion compensation, quarter pel, and other stuff. It also includes built-in encoding tools like cropping, resizing, de-interlacing, etc. Building the tools in like that allows them to be faster, produce better results, and take less CPU power. It's really quite cool. De-interlacing in a separate application takes an additional 20% of CPU power. When done within DivX Pro, it takes 1-2% more power. DivX Pro is capable of decoding AND encoding MPEG-4 Simple Profile and MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile video. The features of DivX Pro means it can save an additional 25% of data over DivX 5.0. In other words, it can get equivalent visual quality to DivX 4.12 at up to 41% smaller files. You can read more about the new features of DivX Pro 5.0 if you're interested.'

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the sound stereo or 5.1 surrround?

3. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had version 5.0.2 for quite a while now. do you know if this is this the same as the 5.0 final? :)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's puzzling me too, sgt.

BTW you can do 5.1 with divx and Gordian knot. It sounds great, but takes an age. If you have a life away from your PC, I'd suggest you live it....