Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Divided recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by philipb, Aug 23, 2004.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    What happens to a recording on a HD when you divide it?

Over the weekend I tried dividing recordings of movies on the HD of my HS2 into sub 60 minute chunks, to be dubbed onto DVD RAMs at XP quality and then transferred to a PC.

The first chunk from the beginning to the divide point transferred nicely using TMPGEnc DVD Author. But the second chunk always reports a stream error. I tried different recordings from the HD; different RAM discs; etc; always the same result.

Looks to me the division process does something to the second chunk which third party software doesn't like.

Any ideas?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    It should work fine - I have done it myself hundreds of times - do you have Hybrid VBR Resolution set to 'Fixed'?

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Rasczak

Don't know - I'll check when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Rasczak

Unfortunately it didn't work. and the problem is now happening on virtually all dubs, high speed or real time, and not just on divided recordings.

The discs play perfectly well on the HS2, and when in the Pioneer 108 drive on the PC they play fine in WinDVD. But try to copy the .vro file onto the hard disc and I get an error part way through. Or if I try to copy the video using DVD Author (as per your guide) I get an error message - stream reading error.

Looks like my ageing HS2 may be off to the knackers yard.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    Have you tried non-destructive editting (Playlists)? Use the Playlist function to copy the second part of the film to a DVD-RAM but allow a minute or so of the first part at the start. Use Partial Erase to trim the recording and then see if that imports OK. If it does then just use the normal Divide function to import Part 1 (which you said imported OK).

Never tried the above myself I have to say (I assume you can still high speed dub using a Playlist) because I have never had problems dividing. Perhaps it could be a fault developing? Most recently I used the divide function on Island At War for six weeks without incident. Anyway try the above and see if it helps - it could be a poor cut is leaving a rogue P or B frame which TMPG Enc is then unable to read.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thanks mate - I'll give it a go.

I think the machine may fading away. I went to bed last night leaving it to dub in real time 55 minutes of recording in XP to a RAM. Next morning the bit where it writes information to disc was still going and I had to switch it off to reset it.