1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DiVA 89 vs FMJ DV29.......help!!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by AntWolverhampto, Nov 30, 2004.

1. AntWolverhampto

AntWolverhampto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone!

A new member of the forum here - so please be gentle with me :)

Im in a bit of a pickle, and was looking for some expert advice........Im currently the very proud owner of an Arcam DiVA 89 (one year old, very happy with it, no problems whatsoever)...............but am very much tempted to sell up & go for the new FMJ DV29. My problem is thus........

1) Cut to the chase - is it worth the upgrade?? Ive spoken to Arcam - who have given me the spiel about "ahhh, this is our flagship model....its the very best we've made......better than your DiVA 89 by a mile....etc etc". And now feel like poop cos it cost me £1000 - and now its not as good as i thought?! Can anyone offer impartial advice on that??

2) I have NO HDMI connection on the tv I've got - but am willing to go for the FMJ cos of its apparent stellar reviews in the dvd visuals/ sound performance department over the 89. Anyone out there seen what it can do, and maybe comment on if these reviews are right?? Im happy with the 89 and what it can do......just want to go for the DV29 if it is indeed, this world beater i heard so much about.

Please help if you can..............i'd really appreciate it

Cheers
    Ant :D

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    With your current display device I woud say don't bother. That is unless you use your player for playing DVD-Audio discs and CDs, if so then depending on the rest of your audio equipment then it might be worth it as the FMJ machine a fair bit better than the DV89.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I upgraded from a DV88+ to a DV27 about 18 months ago.

As Crustyloafer said, I do use it for CD, DVD etc and I found it to be in a different league. Superb machine.

How important is HDMI to you? New, sell off DV27a players can still be had for £950 with 5 year warranty.

I haven't seen the DV29, but there are a few opinions on it by others here. Do a search and see what they say.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i'd stay with what you have....in 1 years time there will probably be another arcam dvd player that is 'miles' better than the dv29....

CaM

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pennies worth is the same as the others, especally as you seem very happy with the DV89 (prior to the Arcam caht about the DV29). Stay with what you have.........................we all get too carried away with upgraditis from time to time

John