1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diva 88Plus DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sapper, Dec 23, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I finall got to see a demonstration of this player this afternooon.

We managed to watch several chapters from a couple of films (region 2)

We only compared prgressive scan v componment input.

Monsters Inc:

No obvious difference

Die HArd 1

There was a slight improvement to Die hard using the progressive scan, notably the edges (esp Diagonals) seemed sharper.

However we ( I took my suffering partener) were not convinced that the improvement was worthy of £1,000!

We gave a week end home demo next SAturday till Monday morning!

Does anyone have any film suggestions (region 1 or 2) that we should watch to appreciate the differences, and to be pursuaded to buy the new player?

Adrian

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Duplicate post removed

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hmmm Tough one...Any of the pixar movies should look great... what are u viewing the picture on. I reckon that prog scan is only really useful for projectors or huge screens (i.e Plasma). I think used on the Toshiba 28/32" Progscan TV (or panasonic) u
    would not see much difference..(between component/progscan)

But progscan aside don't forget u are paying for a quality player.. a good cd player.. and hopefully a great dvd-audio player. (once the board is available).

When I upgraded from my pioneer 606 to the Arcam the first thign that struck me was the improvement in the sound.. it was a huge leap that improved my listening experience immensely!.

P.s I presume its been set for multi region play ?

Anyhow good luck...

Cheers

Matt

4. ijwoo1

ijwoo1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be surprised if you can tell the difference between progressive and component on a 42" plasma. I know I can't and I consider myself to be fairly discerning. However on a big screen via a projector its a different story and I would most certainly pay extra for progressive.

I guess you might get different results with different equipment but I wouldn't get too hung up about progressive if you are only going to view on a 42" or smaller plasma.

Otherwise though the DV88+ is to be recommended. From my experience Arcam excel at customer service too.

Rgds

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

The plasma was the Panny 42' PW5HD version, great screen.

But I also like my 43' MXE

Well, I will have ~36 hours next weekend to demo the 88 plus at home, and to compare picture and sound quality.

ADrian

6. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure what "progressive v component" means. Presumably you're talking about "progressive v interlaced". I suppose if you don't notice any difference then arguably it's not worth paying extra for such a facility.

That said, the DV88+ is a beautiful player. I, for one, am very happy with its PAL progressive output capability, viewed on a series 5 Panasonic plasma. In fact, it was chiefly for this reason that I bought the player. It adds a new dimension to a region 2 collection.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Get the region2 version of Star Trek Insurrection. Play opening 2 minutes. If you can't see the difference with this you'll never see it.......This scene is great for showing whther 2:2 detection is present. Depending on the source you might also see marked difference with Region1 version as well but there are many display devices that now have 2:3 detection on board.

Gordon

8. life sucks

life sucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only confirm this, could not find anything better.
    If you need some other good interlacing tests try scenes from the beginning of Titanic (ship contures) or Star Wars opening (text)sequence Pedro