1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dithering of colours on plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cybersoga, Feb 16, 2003.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A freiend of mine has a new Pioneer 42" plasma, which is great in every way apart from "colour depth"... i'm used to CRT's, LCD computer monitors and the cinema as a reference point. The colours on the plasma look dithered like when you reduce a 24bit image to 256 colours, and you can see patterning on graduated colour bars, rather than smooth gradual colours. Is this typical of all plasma displays, is it just this model or is it set up wrong?

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    No this is typical. Seems to depend a lot on the source. I've never had any noticable problems on DVD's, but it's quite common on Sky especially on skin tones.

This is a compromise you have to make, but when you consider all the other benefits over a CRT (no flicker, perfect geometary, slimness, large display, wow factor! etc) it's a small price to pay I think.

Personally I would hate to go back to a CRT now.

Rob.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    It's typical of some. You are seeing another issue over and above the issue ROB100 mentions. Use of an external video processor may help that issue.

Different plasma manufacturers use different coloured primary phosphors meaning they have different colour gamuts they can reproduce. Same with LCD displays and TV's and projectors. It's just that until recently the Plasma had the smallest gamut with least red and green usually shifted to yellow. The result was nowhere near the deep reds and greens you are used to seeing on normal TV and nothing like range of colour available on film. There is nothing you can do about this.

Gordon