Dithering Issues - Panny 42"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Termite, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Termite

Termite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly hi :) Read these forums quite alot before taking the plunge and purchasing a Panny 42" (can't remember the model number but one without the speakers and has module slots for inputs).

Anyway, I've had it for a couple of months now and settling down to watch it more and more. However one thing I've noticed is that alot of the time I can notice dithering. This can be on the football pitch where the greens just dither and create blocks basically, the same with GP. On movies (DVD) I notice at times the same thing when there is alot of the same colour in a shot ie cloudy sky etc.

Is this to be expected? Is there anything I can do to minimize it? It really does seem quite harsh at the moment.

TIA

Termite

ps did a search first and only came up with one post and few comments :/

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,058
    Some may be MPEG encoding artifacts and others are a limitation of how your plasma processes 50Hz incoming signals. This posterisation and blocking is not as obvious when it's from a 60Hz source on the SD 42" unit. I use my scaler to convert all 50 Hz incoming signals to 60Hz refresh to minimise this artifact as it is quite objectionable.

Gordon