Question Ditching Sky Q Router for D-Link AC1750

Spendy26

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I have a really bad wifi signal in my house and I work and my work have just given me a brand New D-Link AC1750 as its been sat in the warehouse for ages. Can anyone tell me if its a simple thing to swap over? I have read I could just plug the sky router into the D-Link and just used the D-Link for Wifi ( modem only mode on Sky Router and to then connect the new router) but unsure what the best method would be. I assume that I will get a better signal using the D-Link AC1750? Any tips or help would be great.

Which model is it? DIR-???

Okay, but I was asking about the D-Link.

Well, actually if you have the ER110 (Sky Q) router then the WiFi is the almost the same as both are 802.11ac but the D-Link has faster 2.4Ghz (450 vs 144) but 5Ghz is same.
No harm in trying to see if you can get a better signal coverage from the D-Link - just turn off the WiFi on the ER110 and connect the D-Link using a patch cable.

Well, actually if you have the ER110 (Sky Q) router then the WiFi is the almost the same as both are 802.11ac but the D-Link has faster 2.4Ghz (450 vs 144) but 5Ghz is same.
No harm in trying to see if you can get a better signal coverage from the D-Link - just turn off the WiFi on the ER110 and connect the D-Link using a patch cable.

Thats great thanks I will give it a go tonight :)

If you want to use both routers physically spread out to create a cellular coverage pattern, check out the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum.

Sky routers are known for having poor wifi, so even if the d-link has the same spec you may find it better.

I think that d-link can be used to entirely replace the Sky router, however this is against the T&Cs of your contract with them but also will involve faffing about to get the username/password out of the sky router and setting the dlink up. It may be easier just to use both together.

Sky routers are known for having poor wifi, so even if the d-link has the same spec you may find it better.

I think that d-link can be used to entirely replace the Sky router, however this is against the T&Cs of your contract with them but also will involve faffing about to get the username/password out of the sky router and setting the dlink up. It may be easier just to use both together.
Ok Thanks for that

Firstly, that D-Link does not have VDSL so you will still need the Sky router. Also I found that the ER110 AC wifi is a lot better than the older models that only had N.

Do you have Sky Q and any Q Mini boxes?

Firstly, that D-Link does not have VDSL so you will still need the Sky router. Also I found that the ER110 AC wifi is a lot better than the older models that only had N.

Do you have Sky Q and any Q Mini boxes?
No just normal sky HD box not sky q May try using the dlink just for WiFi

Okay, try to position it to increase signal strength, it helps to have it raised and open vs in a corner or AV cabinet.

I have just checked my Sky Router its actually a ER115 Router. Forgot to bring the D-Link router home so will try tomorrow. We live in a old house with sold walls and very high ceilings.

Bear in mind that Wi-Fi is two-way radio like walkie-talkies, not one-way radio like television. Whatever "fix" you implement to improve AP-to-Client transmissions needs to be matched by improved Client-to-AP transmissions in the opposite direction for a "good quality" conversation to be maintained.

Using the analogy of audio; if husband and wife are trying to have an argument through a thick wall and finding that they cannot hear each other very well, doing something that "only" makes wife "louder" so husband can hear, only fixes half the problem - wife still cannot heat husband any better.

Same for Wi-Fi.

Which is one reason why there are no "magic" routers out there with "much better signal" than everyone elses: There would be no point. Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and nearly all kit (including ISP kit) is, and always has been, at or very close to the permitted max. If "they" can make a "powerful" Wi-Fi radio transmitter that fits in your smartphone with tiny antenna and runs all day off a battery, it's hard to believe that "they" (ISP's) are so inept they cannot achieve the same in a comparatively "big" box with larger antenna that runs off the mains. I'm afraid that I just don't buy the Internet Myth that this and that ISP supplied routers are "known to have Wi-Fi signal problems." You'd need a seriously hardcore testing environment to even begin to conduct objective testing of such.

Also, it's worth mentioned that the 5GHz radio frequencies used by AC (and A and some N) reduce power over distance at a greater rate than the 2.4GHz frequencies used by B/G and some N. AC isn't necessarily the "silver bullet" for Tx power that some believe it to be.

Still, if you have the kit in hand, there's no harm in trying it. All it's going to cost you is your time.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom