Ditching Sky Q for streaming services

pacificdragon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m about to come out of contract for Sky Q and looking at alternatives to reduce the costs.
I’ve got 4K tv in 2 rooms and Amazon 4K firestick on both TV’s

My question to my fellow av forum members, what would be the cheapest way to replicate some of what Sky Q offered.

I currently have Netflix & Amazon prime, is there a good all in one app for UK TV or do I need to install iPlayer, ITV hub etc. Also any other good streaming apps that people would recommend.

Many thanks in advance.
PD

I'd go for discovery + it has live channels and streaming content, they had an offer of sport and entertainment for 12 months for 29.99 if that's still on its excellent value, I'd also have a look at the apple tv box, the apple tv app on the box connects to all your apps and keeps track of episodes watched and suggestions of things you might like, you might want to look at now tv if there's some sky content that's not available elsewhere.

Hi everyone,

I’m about to come out of contract for Sky Q and looking at alternatives to reduce the costs.
I’ve got 4K tv in 2 rooms and Amazon 4K firestick on both TV’s

My question to my fellow av forum members, what would be the cheapest way to replicate some of what Sky Q offered.

I currently have Netflix & Amazon prime, is there a good all in one app for UK TV or do I need to install iPlayer, ITV hub etc. Also any other good streaming apps that people would recommend.

Many thanks in advance.
PD
There isn't one answer here but a starting place is, have a look at what you've recorded.

If a lot of it is UK TV disregard it, you can just watch that stuff on catch up. Or get an aerial.

Then look at what's left, where IS that content? Or, do you just want to change what you usually watch?

Disney Plus is probably essential, that's only really one month or so Sky Sub. Apple TV is a fiver. But neither is great if you don't want what's on there.

What are your current costs? What would you be unable to watch if you ditched Sky, go from there.

For me, looking at my drive, I'd lose Resident Alien, The Rookie and a load of UHD films. I can replace the UHD films in some way and some of them probably exist elsewhere. I'd not be able to catch up on Yellowjackets when it comes back. I'd lose out on stuff like Mayor of Eastown. And more. But, come July, I am almost certainly ditching it.

That said, part of my £50 sub includes Netflix 4k Premium so the saving isn't quite as much as it would initially seem

Comes down to what you watch really and is it new stuff your after or catalogue or a bit of both and do you watch a lot of UK or international content or a mix.

If I was to recommend just 2 then is use to be Amazon and Netflix, Now it will be Netflix and Disney+ but the top 3 prime, Netflix and Disney+ atm. Soon we will be getting paramount+ and most likely in 2024 HBO max or what ever name it will carry since it now has merged with Discovery.

UK Catchup you from the likes of BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and My5 and Channel 4 you have to install the individual apps and there is no all in one but Britbox "might" come close with the catalogue titles as there tends to be replication but they will be £5.99 a month and might not have everything and doubt it will carry the new stuff.

If your not bothered with UHD but want some of the content HD720p or 1080p that sky only has your best bet could be to look at the now service as they has sky tv at a much better price (I consider the offers a better price then the Q and Glass service) but that might not be one for you.

Apple TV well I like it enough and subbed to it and for me has good content but it's also Apple's own and non of the major studios or any back catalogue so that can be a restriction on the service as when it launched it did not have much to offer and it takes time to build up content from the ground up and they release in weekly format and not drop in one go.

A discovery plus and now tv entertainment pass would cover most of the channels you'll lose from sky.

Discovery plus is 3.99 a month without the sport, but with ads. The ads are few and far between to be fair.

Now tv will get you access to stream Live a ton of sky channels including Atlantic. Its 9.99 a month but there's sometimes deals on and usually if you cancel they offer reduced monthly subs for a while.

So for 14 quid a month you can still access a good chunk of channels you'd only get on sky or virgin. Then you have Iplayer, 4od and the channel 5 one for your normal TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom