Ditching Sky HD for Virgin V+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Phil.LFC, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Had my Sky HD box for about 9 months now. To start with I was really pleased with it, and the HD stuff looked great.

But, it is very noisy, it occasionally fails to record stuff for no reason, and the picture judders a tiny bit intermittently. I've also had a few fail to records due to "power failure" ??

I'm paying NTL/Virgin £25 a month atm for my cable broadband, which I like, but for an extra £15 a month I can have VM's XL TV package, Broadband as I have now, and their free evening and weekend phone package. That's not bad for £40 a month IMO, especially as Setanta is free, and the Liverpool FC channel is coming soon :thumbsup:

I don't think I'll miss the HD stuff too much, as I don't subscribe to the movies anyway. The footy looks great in HD I must admit, but I'm only really interested in watching the Liverpool games, and they're not always in HD. I'll be able to watch ALL Liverpool games soon on Setanta, in SD though.

I will have to pay £150 to VM for their V+ box, but this is an (expensive:eek:) installation charge. I know that sounds bad, but you don't actually purchase the box, Virgin own it. I'm quite happy with that 'cos if it breaks they'll replace it for free, unlike Sky, whose boxes seem a little unreliable and expensive to repair/replace:rolleyes:

I reckon I'll be able to sell the HD box on eBay for around £130.

It's a shame to leave Sky, but it's a no brainer really.

I have been disappointed with the HD box, my previous Sky+ box was miles better and a lot more reliable. I've also had a Sky+ 160 box, which again was slightly unreliable. Not sure I can trust Sky's equipment anymore.

Bye Sky:hiya:

2. DJMS

DJMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Wont be live though. Barring reserve and the odd friendly game there will be a delay of 24 hours or so I would imagine :thumbsdow

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

As long as a prospective buyer doesn't read that post:)

I would be inclined to make use of the warranty and get a box that worked then sell it and certainly overlap the two services, nothing to guarantee flawless hardware/software from the SA sourced V+ either.

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    :oops: Well £50 on eBay then :D

I will contact Sky regarding the HD box problems. Are these common faults?

Yeah, I'm going to overlap them as my HD can't be cancelled until January anyway. I can reduce my channel package with Sky to £16 and pay the £10 HD subs. They're also going to let me cancel multiroom, even though I had it when I got the HD, so I'm surprised they didn't make me pay that until January too.

Also, does anyone know if I can I keep my sky boxes and use them as free to view, even after I stop paying any money to Sky?

5. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    24 hours :eek:

I work shifts so I often have to avoid the football results and watch the game later off the planner, but to avoid the results for 24 hours :(

Is that what Man Utd, Chelsea, Rangers TV etc do then?

6. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    My dad is on VM XXL package and through his own experience on the phone talking to me about VM, he isnt too happy with them.

I used to have the same issue here. Im on my third HD box and so far so good though. :thumbsup:

http://packages.sky.com/offers/3for35.aspx

Thats not bad from Sky for £35 either.

If you feel you must then you gotta do what you gotta do!

7. DJMS

DJMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Dont know about scumtv etc but would certainly be the case for games which are on sky due to rights issues. (Why would Sky pay millions and then allow screening via a sentanta channel a few hours later?)

For the other games not certain but I'm basing this on the coverage available on LFC website "e-season" service. If you read the stuff on the LFC site they seem a little cagey about confirming the time delay but all will become clear when it launches on the 20th I guess.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Loud hard drives and over zealous fans have been used as reasons for both replacing a box under warranty and cancelling the service altogether, the product as such doesn't meet the customers demands, it's that simple.
    The "power failure" one is a little more tricky since it is more of a software/epg problem and as such will hit some people more than others depending upon what channels they watch/series link etc.

A non-subscription SKY digibox can work as a FTA box without a smartcard or a FTA/FTV with a ex-sub or new Freesatfromsky smartcard. Unlike cable you do at least have continued viewing of digital channels if you cancel the service or the option to sell hardware to recoup costs, swings and roundabouts so good luck with VM:)

9. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the reply Starburst :) How much are the ex-sub or Freesatfromsky cards to buy?

Watts,
    the £35 deal from Sky sounds good, but I'm only interested in Liverpool games, so I'd also need Setanta at another £10 month. I'm also going to save £10 HD and another £10 multiroom, although I'm going to pay an extra £5 per month to Virgin for their multiroom. I'm also very happy with my NTL (Now VM) broadband, which is staying as part of the VM deal, it is reliable and fairly quick (Up top 4mb). I'm paying them £25 for that alone atm!

I currently pay £58 to Sky (£38 Sports package, £10 multiroom, £10 HD) + £10 Setanta + £25 for NTL/VM broadband = £93.

With Virgin I will be paying £40 + £5 multiroom = £45. :smashin:

See what I mean! Admittedly it is not a direct comparison as if I wanted Sky Sports with Virgin I'd have to pay another £18 a month, which would make it £63, which is still quite a saving though. But I don't want Sky Sports anyway because of the new LFC channel on Setanta. :D.
    HD is limited on Virgin I know, but I hardly watch any HD on Sky now.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Well you will already have one from the multi-room box and another eventually from the HD box, they will be ex-subscription smartcards. If you want to buy a brand new one then they cost £20 a pop with a 3 year guaranteed replacement if SKY change the encryption.

This time next year should see the launch of Freesat so leaving your existing dish and cabling in place could be beneficial.

11. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    I had the Virgin HD box and switched to SkyHD when virgin lost the sky channels (I love my soccer saturday ;))

If you use the Sky+ recording feature a lot then I wouldnt reccomend Virgin - it is very slow and prehistoric compared to Skys

The boxes and cables that Virgin are supplying are like made of cardboard and paper essentially - my mate had it installed and I have never seen such cheap looking equipment - the scart cable was one of the ribbon types!

Also if you do want HD Virgin has nothing on it.

On the flip side if you like films, Virgin has like 500 on demand plus they are a bit cheaper in general.

12. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    For the time delay on club channels - weekend games are held back until midnight on Sunday, midweek games until midnight the same day.

The test broadcasts for the Liverpool channel are in 4:3 too. If you have a Setanta subscription on satellite it is testing now on 11.307 V - channel title 53310

13. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I (stupidly) asked "How much are the ex-sub or Freesatfromsky cards to buy?"

Doh! Sorry for being a bit thick there :suicide:

Interesting. I'll definitely leave the dish and cables in place. I'll still probably sell my HD box and Sky+ box and buy some cheap Sky digiboxes off eBay. I also have an 8 way LNB fitted too so I could end up with more cables eventually! The house already looks like it's under attack from some kind of cable invasion :)

14. Robbie Razzler

Robbie Razzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The channel isn't going to be in widescreen then?:thumbsdow

15. paullea

paullea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I Am Sure I Have Read Somewhere That The Bit Rate Of Setanta Is Shocking, Even Comparable To Itv!!

16. DJMS

DJMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Its no where near the quality of Sky sports (even SD) but better than ITV

17. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    if you anticipate ever having to ring customer services then do not bother with virgin. the phone calls alone will leave you out of pocket compared to an HD subscription :rotfl:

plus you'll come off the phone after waiting for at least an hour to talk to someone who is ver rude and really couldn't be arsed with your problem knowing full well they've lied to you non-stop and have done absolutely nothing about your problem and the typing you've heard is actually them playing pacman, and it'll make you wonder why you ever considered them at all

took me one long complaint to an online internet provider ombudsman and several long emails to get through to the management office, only then was it admitted that customer services know nothing and had been lying. Pushed for a full refund too :smashin:

18. johny1980

johny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    MATE

put quite simply

Your going backwards and like all the other attempts to rival sky it will fail

the amount of people i know that have done things like this and come back to sky is beyond belief. Also, the amount that is spent getting the new setup and going back to sky usually sees them loose money in the long run !!!

19. paullea

paullea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so that quality is going to cost you what? and thats not even live!

imho i think i will keep my sky and nip down to the pub to watch the other games with my buddies!!

i wonder if this would be a cheeper option?

20. DJMS

DJMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'm maxed out on Sky so the extra £10 for setenta is a bit of a rip off but not much in the grander scheme of things. Even if I went down the pub for 1 game a month I'd spend more than a tenner so financially it still makes sense.

If ever the quality is annoying me I just watch 30 secs of rugby on ITV and it suddenly seems like watching HD when you go back :D

Plus I've got it for the old prem plus games LFCTV will just be an added bonus. Be better still for Phil if he is able to avoid hearing some results as he can watch "as live"

21. paullea

paullea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    must admit i am abit miffed about setanta getting some of the liverpool games as i am a raving mad lfc fan but on the plus side it gives me a excuse to go for a well deserved pint.

as for lfc tv i could probably still find out all i needed to know about lfc on their website

as for paying the extra for sentanta its a no go for me

22. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

I made the opposite switch and I am so glad I did, far superior service with sky. I had sound blips on many recordings and all virgin would say is we were working on it 5 months of this and eventually I had enough and ditched it.

Dont move mate you will regret it.

ps I have my phone and broadband with Virgin.

23. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    If you do move over, you may want to keep your HD equipment now that it has been announced that ITV will be in HD on the Freesat platform from next Spring (thinking of their Champions League games - plus England and FA Cup matches next season).

It probably will also be on cable - but may be worth waiting for confirmation of that.

24. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Just to chip in my two penneth........

The only "extra" Liverpool games you will see on Setanta will be the PPV ones I believe. If it was me, I'd keep SKY HD instead, enjoy the Liverpool games they show in HD, and go to the Pub for the ones they don't :)

As for broadband - £25 a month seems very expensive. Is Sky Broadband available in your area ? Its free for up to 2Mb, £5 a month for 8Mb or £10 a month for 16Mb. If it is available, the saving you would make there would probably bring the prices much closer together.

I've never had V+, so cannot comment on it, but I did used to be an NTL customer several years ago. Suffice to say, I'll never go back :D

Ian.

25. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for all the replies, but you've made me feel bad about leaving sky :(

This is the Sky HD forum though, so I suppose I'm going to get more people in favour of Sky on here. I wonder what reaction I'd get on the Virgin Media forum?

I know £25 is steep for the BB, but I've been extremely happy with it over the last couple of years. I don't really want to go to BB via the phone line, and I don't want the hassle of changing my email addresses.

I've ordered VM anyway, so I'll see what it's like. I can always go back to sky anytime they said, and it would be done the same day, as long as I keep my equipment (dish, cables etc). I'll be keeping the equipment to use as freeview anyway. I may even keep my HD box now as well.

So, I'll give VM the benefit of the doubt and try it for 12 months. I'll give my opinion on it soon. It's being fitted this Monday which was surprisingly quick.
    I was expecting to have to wait a couple of weeks, so that's a good start for Virgin ;)

26. spikeydog120

spikeydog120

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I went to Virgin and the V+ box in January. For the first 2 months it was better than Sky:), Then I started to get sound drop out's on my recorded programs:(. At first it was just the odd program then it started to lose picture as well. I'll give Virgin it's due they were very quick to look into the problem, Told me it was the box at the end of the street. The problem did go away for about two weeks then it started again, Was told the same thing again, This time it didn't go away so they replaced the box twice then told me that my £80 hdmi cable was the problem and should use the £2 one they send in the box:rotfl:. When I told them it was the same no matter which cable I used they said it must be my plasma that was the problem. That with the fact that they had messed up my bill for the past 2 months was the final straw:mad:. After 6 months with Virgin I cancelled and went back to Sky.
    So I hope you have more luck than I did with them.

27. geoyou

geoyou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cant comment on the V+ service, I only had SD with VM.

My main reasons for leaving VM were as follows, bear in mind i was a cabeltel/ NTL/ VM customer for TEN years!!

1. lack of choice of channels
    2. On demand ropey, rarely worked.
    3. box freezes every morning, vm not interested.
    4. taking More4 +1 off air and replacing with c4+1.
    5. poor pq.
    6. poor (very poor) customer service. Faulty box on friday pm couldnt even log a fault until Monday am!! no telly all weekend (i had to actually TALK to my wife! :eek:)
    7. Billing errors all the time.
    8. Contacted retentions, aggressive and pathetic response with no alternative offered.
    9. very expensive broadband. Thats next out....still have phone and BB services.

I may regret moving at some point in the future, but for now apart from the eyewatering costs, sky is way ahead of the rest and my HD picture quality is truely amazing.

28. WATTS

WATTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Does anyone else find the EPG with VM a right pain in the arse to use?

Compared to Sky's EPG its a total nightmare, everything is just so simple with the EPG on sky.

Anyone else think the same or am i just that used to the EPG on Sky?

29. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Can't you watch Football First at 10:15pm and then choose Liverpool? I believe they show every match.

30. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57