1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ditching AverMedia - bought a Nebula

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RedRose, Jul 5, 2005.

1. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I finally took the plunge into the murky waters of PC-based FreeView and bought an AverMedia DVB-T 771 from Maplin. Easy to use it aint, and the prospect of my wife using it -Ha ha!
    I'm sorry, I don't like being negative, but whilst the picture quality was fine, the surrounding application s/w was complete pants! I downloaded the latest drivers from their website but still I was apalled by:
    - The EPG simply would not put a "record this entry" into the PVR scheduler. It just plain wouldn't appear. I had to enter all events manually.
    - You can't reorder or sort the entries in the program list
    - The EPG is a JOKE. To even get it to display you had to double-click the "now & next" tab, then if you selected another channel you had to click the "schedule" tab and then go back into the "now & next" tab.
    - Radio channels sputter (very short interruptions every 2 seconds)
    - There's no teletext or Red Button service.
    - I paid £80 and would discourage anyone from buying one of these.

Based on the rave reviews I've read on here I ordered a Nebula PCI this morning. I'm taking the Aver back to Maplin for a fully justified refund. Wish I'd read your reports earlier.

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    done the same this end, I purchased one about 2 years ago and it was hopeless. Got a refund and got a proper one instead.

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Did the same here, the Nebula is sooooooooooo much easier to use! And I see they've released beta BDA drivers for the PCI card (no USB ones yet) so it's possible to use it with MCE or things like Mediaportal now :D

4. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bloody Hell!!
    What a difference. The software around this card is superb! Those guys at Nebula deserve to sell loads and make a very good living. It's so far ahead of the c**p that AverMedia offer that it's ridiculous. My compliments to Nebula, and they're British too!
    Looks like the 3.5 software will be even better, can't wait.

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Also when I was playing around with my Aver it would not pick up all the channels (was using it at work on a portable antenna). Aver blamed my setup on not picking up all the channels. Guess what as soon as the Nebula went in low & behold all channels picked up on exactly the same set up.

6. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    I agree, I've got the USB version at work and I was amazed how easy it was to set up and use. Not bad for a company that I believe still operates from home.

7. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, same here. I got about twice as many TV channels.
    I've been playing with the network streaming. Very nice. Those guys know how to write software.
    One question: when I record my old Video8 tapes via the Composite input the mpeg files are very jerky when played back with MediaPlayer, but absolutely fine using the Nebula media player. Is this a MediaPlayer codec issue, or is it to do with the need to reencode the mpegs for use in DVD players as described in the Help files? I'm guessing the Nebula player is desinged to play these files without modification.