1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ditching 6800GT, no 50Hz capability

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Dec 4, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well after a couple of weeks playing and failing I've reverted to my 9600XT. In software mode the PQ isn't quite what the 6800 could do, mainly I think due to NVidia's superior rendering via VMR over ATI's Overlay, though in hardware mode the 6800's a lot better .. this is using TheaterTek 2 with the NVidia decoders so much of NVidia's superior decoding is available to me with the ATI.

However, the's one thing the ATI does which the NVidia can't .. 50hz operation.

I've fiddled, tweaked and twiddled, using Powerstrip and Reclock, but nothing will persuade the 6800 to use anything other than 60hz via DVI to my Z200E. Yes, the NVidia control panel SAYS it's doing 75Hz (won't let me set 50 but 75 is fine for PAL), but my Z200E still sees 60 and Reclock says the same. Interestingly, the CRT I'm running in clone mode DOES switch to 75, but it seems the DVI is stuck at 60.

Drop in the 9600 and voila, the Z200E sees 50 and Reclock syncs perfectly.

So, slightly inferioir PQ but no stuttering at all. Is my problem with the NVidia's DVI something others have seen?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was pointed to the 67.20 drivers by someone on the TT forums and these now allow me to select 50hz .. not without some minor annoyance, such as not being able to select them via AnyDVD for example but at least I can actually get 50hz operation now.

3. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeh i use 67.20 myself to allow 50hz over dvi on my ultra,the only mayor problem i have with these is someone of my .TS files jump in and out of aspect in theatertek 2.

Sean

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Do you need Powerstrip to get 50Hz?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, Powerstrip is not needed to get 50Hz, the 67.20 control panel provides an equivalent feature .. at least, as far as Powerstrip's custom resolution section is concerned to the extent I think, although of course PStrip does do other things like latency setting etc.

Ignoring the weird 'wrong' checkmark setting, I can switch between 50 and 60 using the NVidia system applet menu.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks for that - the 6800 can be put back into service.