Ditch Vista and go back to XP ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DodgeTheViper, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,571
    If i buy a new laptop that has Vista OS, can i legitimately ditch Vista and install XP ?

Or just wait for Windows 7 ?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    First off it is Windows 7 not 8 out next and why would you want to go back to XP. The most reliable PC's we have ever had have all been Vista, a little dodgy in the early days but excellent now. Everytime I work on a XP PC it seems a leap backwards in time. Even my gaming lads use Vista 64bit now and would not go back, especially one of them who used to have to rebuild his XP pc at least every 6 months, he now swears by Vista.

3. asprint

asprint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have been using XP in my desktop for years.

I recently (last couple of weeks) decided to also get a laptop.

I was also very concerened about having to use vista with all the reported problems.

In the end I decided that vista is all that is curently avaliable, certainly on laptops, so it may as well be time to get used to it.

I have have been using the laptop with vista for the last two weeks and can only say that my concerns have not been met.

Yes it is diferent to XP and you should look to get a suitable word package, office 2003 or 2007, but overall I have not found any real problems or concerns.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    I say yes, get rid of Vista and put XP back on. I

All our engineers here have asked us to take vista off their laptops and put XP on. All the laptops were supplied with Vista but now with XP they run faster.

I would say unless you have a good system then Vista will probably run slower than XP SP3.

Ive seen quite a few laptops that have come pre installed with Vista and after putting XP on they run smoother.
    Not always but it happens.

Testing W7 out at the moment on a Dell laptop and it runs slight faster than Vista, both 32bit.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. Skupp

Skupp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dell do downgrades from Vista to XP, might be something to look at.

I think it also depends on the version of Vista you buy as to whether you can downgrade or not.

I would give give Vista a miss if possible, it is a very bloaty OS. I used it for around 4 months (Admittedly pre SP1), but went back to XP.

I have downloaded Windows 7 Beta, and I have to say, it seems to be a good step forward, and will most likely upgrade to it...

If you can wait for Windows 7, thats the way I would go, however, may not be released for some time yet...

Cheers,
    Daniel.