ditch that CC40R filter!

Jules

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Sony VW11HT with CC40R filter has been looking below par for quite a while. Its been looking dull, no snap, and even the Stewart Greyhawk screen didn't seem to do much to help the poor contrast.

Anyway, I removed the CC40R filter as an experiment, and boy am a glad I did!

When I originally added the filter and calibrated with SMART, I was sure it helped enormously.
But the lamp has aged and is obviously kicking out fewer lumens making the filter a complete over-kill.

I now have a wonderfully vibrant picture again with more satisfactory viewing even with a little ambient light (thanks to the grayhawk screen).

So if you've added a filter early in your projectors life, it might be time to remove it!

Based on the theory of why a CC filter works the way it does - your experience indicates that in your case a CC40R was too strong/dark. A CC20R or CC30R would probably have been a better choice.

The CC filter theory is that (done right), peak brightness isn't reduced at all; contrast is increased below peak white, making intermediate shades down to black, proportionately darker, and blacks blacker.

So, the fact that you have found it desirable to remove it as your lamp ages, and that this has recovered some overall brightness (white level) suggests that it was actually reducing white level in the first place - and that's an artefact of too strong a filter.

But, the SMART calibration software indicates if the filter is too strong... and it didn't.
Maybe the filter has somehow degraded?

I might try and recalibrate tonight.

Well, I suppose the alternative theory is that, with the reduced light output, you actually prefer looking at an image where the darkness of dark is actually not as dense......

if you remove the filter WITHOUT recalibaration, the picture will automatically be brighter. You will gain peak white that wasnt present with the filter in place (albeit a bit on the blue/green side).

The 'CC filter theory' only applies between calibrated systems.

ad

No. On removing the filter I switched from my 'custom' colour temperature back to the factory 'low' colour temp on which my 'custom' temp was based. So it was a level playing field.

Anyhow, I recalibrated with the filter (I'd forgotten how long this takes!!) and it turns out that my blue gain was considerably lower than it should have been.
Maybe the blue LCD panel has deteriorated!?
The longevity of LCD panels has been discussed before, but I'm beginning to wonder if I've now seen it first hand.
Whilst I've improved the picture somewhat today by recalibrating, I'm absolutely convinced the projector is still only about half as good as it once was.

It has made me re-think my upgrade plans.
I don't think I would now consider upgrading to a newer LCD unit as the wow factor may again only be short lived.
I'm going to wait until the price of 3 chip, high resolution, widescreen DLP projectors comes down to more affordable levels.

it is most likely the bulb changed, not the panels. This wouldnt really surprise me. With age, all sorts of things can happen

ad

Originally posted by Jules
I'm going to wait until the price of 3 chip, high resolution, widescreen DLP projectors comes down to more affordable levels.

I'll second that. And - it does seem likely that your lamp will have got 'yellower' with age. Hence the need to 'up' the blue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom