District 9 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Great review of a stunning film, shame there was no part 2.

Much obliged & very happy to read another positive review of one of my fave sci-fi films!

Is this a Sony release without Imax Enhanced?

Great Review, Simon.
Haven't watched this for ages - will try & rent this 4K Atmos version for sure!

I haven't watched this for a long time but I guess this will be added to the collection at some point. With LoTR and Blade coming soon, I don't know whether to be happy that all these great films are coming out in HDR or annoyed at my ever growing collection. Having just added around 50 3D discs, I am spectacularly failing at reducing my collection size.

Watched this last night, very nice disc.

I was unsure about how much it could improve upon the excellent Japanese BD, but it does.

The new Atmos mix is well tasty, even my dog was impressed.

Happy to hear (read) almost Universal praise for this one (not that anythung lessfrom Sony is expected).

100% keeper this one so hurry up Zavvi and announce the Steelbook.

Love this film. I have serious issues with that decision by Wikus to go solo, but I guess if your desperate enough, but sheesh, it really bugged my (pun not intended).

Other than that, amazing film. Saw the trailer in the morning and in 1 hour the steplad and I were in the cinema (remember those?) watching this.

If there is anyone on this forum who has never watched this film because of it Scfi theme, I have to say that you really need to watch this. This for me is easily one of the best and if you look a bit deeper it tells you a lot about the issues that have happened in South Africa. An absolute gem of a movie.

Love this film. I have serious issues with that decision by Wikus to go solo, but I guess if your desperate enough, but sheesh, it really bugged my (pun not intended).

That drove me nuts at the time, although he redeems himself it was almost too far to recover from but i suspect that what they were aiming for. His character is plenty flawed and has little sympathy for the prawn like when he finds the hatchery and explains to the camera how to dispatch them.

Even my mum and dad loved it and have been nagging me every year since about where is the sequel! :D
think Elysium and Chappie being turds put to big of a dent in Blomkamps reputation

great movie and its on prime in hdr.

great movie and its on prime in hdr.
I'll have to revisit it on Prime, when I went to watch a couple of weeks ago it was only UHD!

Still looks like its UHD only, can't see a HDR version.

Last edited:
My problem with Chappie was the final act. It just stretched an already unbelievable premise a bit too far. I've not seen Elysium.
I watched it again the other day, Elysium, definitely worth a watch imo.

Nice review thanks Simon.

I watched on Apple TV several weeks back, noticing it had been upgraded to 4K DV & Atmos. Looked and sounded really good. Just picked up the 4K UHD Blu Ray from the classified and gave it a quick spin. Shame no DV on the release (Sony!) but everything looks awesome. My AVR is having some work done on it so will wait until giving it a full watch & testing the Atmos track out, which will be superior to that on ATV.

I really like this film. I understand some of the comments about a sequel perhaps being a missed opportunity, however I don’t see how you could include Wikus in a follow up/prequel effectively and he really made large parts of the film for me. I appreciate the ending too.

This UHD was one of my Christmas pressies which we watched tonight. I have not seen it for quite a while, and it really is a tremendous movie. Great action, humour, stunning effects, but still has social commentary and a lot of heart.

The UHD isn’t reference picture wise, and I think not to be expected based on the source material, but a definite upgrade over the Blu-ray. The Atmos soundtrack is a monster though, really great stuff. Good disk.

Shame a sequel never happened (so far), still hope Blomkamp gets a chance to do it. Apparently he filmed an as-yet untitled horror movie this year, which is due out next year, so that could be interesting.

This UHD was one of my Christmas pressies which we watched tonight. I have not seen it for quite a while, and it really is a tremendous movie. Great action, humour, stunning effects, but still has social commentary and a lot of heart.

The UHD isn’t reference picture wise, and I think not to be expected based on the source material, but a definite upgrade over the Blu-ray. The Atmos soundtrack is a monster though, really great stuff. Good disk.

Shame a sequel never happened (so far), still hope Blomkamp gets a chance to do it. Apparently he filmed an as-yet untitled horror movie this year, which is due out next year, so that could be interesting.
I have the Blu-ray of this, but really tempted at some point to upgrade to the 4K

ANd finally got the 4K on rental. Looked fantastic, & as Simon says the Atmos track is excellent. I only have front Atmos but the Helicopter sequences really felt like I had front & rear Atmos speakers. Great rewatch

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom