Distribution of Sky over IP

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DavidHeath, Mar 21, 2006.

1. DavidHeath

DavidHeath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this isn't in the correct forum.

Could someone please advise of any solution that will distribute sky over IP (not Cat 5). I'm not interested in distribution of other content such as audio or from other devices and it doesn't need to be HD.

I currently have my receiver in a room seperate to my main TV (wife doesn't like wires running inside or out) and I'm not in a position to put in new wires throughout the house. I'm currently using some Digisenders to distribute the picture to both my main TV & to a second in the bedroom but I'm having trouble with interference from mine and a couple of other wireless networks.

Having read various threads and conducted numerous searches there appears to be plenty of devices that can display content to the TV but nothing to take and convert from the source. I would like to use IP as I'm thinking of using powerline adapters to minimise the amount of visible wires.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David

2. nanookles

nanookles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez women have a lot to answer for making us men go to all this work!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You'd need to use a capture card in a PC, all I can promise you is tears of frustration. There is no out of the box solution for video distribution AFAIK. Audio, yes. www.netstreams.com for that.

4. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The sling box will allow you to do what you are after.... The best news is that a UK launch is not too far away....

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Cant wait.... Saw it in the US last year and I WANT ONE.

Kishii

5. Papua

Papua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You could always capture the video and audio to a PC then use one of the few devices that allow you to stream the computer screen to a tv. There is a hauppauge MVP that allows you to stream video and audio to a tv and includes a remote control to allow you to control the pc all over a cat 5 cable. I think some companies have been selling this off for around £50. There are others around that also do the same.

6. DavidHeath

DavidHeath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all that have commented.

I've done some more digging and I'm going to try and live with it at the moment and wait for the Hava which can multicast MPEG-2 streams (http://monsoonmultimedia.com/products.html).

I emailed KiSS but they couldn't confirm what streaming protocols they are going to support in the future for their Media Player product, which if it can take MMS or RTP/RTSP will make it useful for streaming to.

David